Reboot finished! Now what?

Post On Group Wall

Group Wall

• Dahlia

3 years ago

Did anyone listen to John Gabriel on the Total Wellness Summit? I found his visualization technique for imaging an ideal body quite interesting. Since starting the reboot program, I have used imagery. It started with a picture of boarding a plane with a healthy body, and to add weights and more intense training to my routine, changed to a healthy toned body boarding a plane for a hiking trip, which has always been on my bucket list. I have never had much luck with meditation, but I think his visualization technique will work.

• eurocatbaby

3 years ago

I listened to him yesterday. Some of what he said I totally agree with some not so much. The visualization is something I think we all need to see that future is really possible. I think he missed out about not talking about how addictive foods can be which the film brought out hungry for change. When someone is addicted to sugar which is in everything it's hard to make changes. I have done many diets in my life and before the reboot and changing my taste buds nothing worked. It wasn't my body wanting to be fat it was my taste buds were so off from eating sugar that I wouldn't eat veggies at all no matter how my mom tried. I heard in one of the films that they put sugar in baby formula and yesterday my hubby and I were talking and I told him I was a formula baby and I wonder if that could be where I started down hill from the very start. It makes me wonder. My parents both loved veggies but were raised on farms and had no processed foods when they were young. I was born in San Diego California and we had Taco Bell, Jack in the Box and McDonald's, A & W Root beer. I know he said yesterday in his talk about going back in your memories and these are some of mine so it makes me wonder. My journey this time has been to listen to the different people and glean what I feel and think is right. Because you will have of these experts disagree with each other. Add fat or add no fat is the new one. I think from listening to so many I don't want to add to much fat but I know my skin and hair even my brain needs some fat. So I want to get them from good sources such as adding whole foods like nuts and seeds to my sauces not eating handfuls watching TV. Making some guacamole to add to taco's or salad. I heard one of the experts say before he doesn't like oils because they are processed foods. I do have some olive oil and coconut oil but I really don't use it much. In fact, right after the reboot I made some vegan cheesy sauce that called for olive oil and I couldn't eat it. My taste buds just wouldn't except it. So that is why I use cashews or potatoes and carrots for the base and roast an orange pepper. No oil at all included and I enjoy it now. Last night we had some baked fries and I don't care for the Organicville Ketchup any more. So I used some of there BBQ sauce which was okay. They are the only sauces I use that are processed. I think I will either try making some ketchup or for now stick with the BBQ sauce. We don't have it often all other sauces and dressings we make home made.

• Dahlia

3 years ago

I agree with you on the different view points presented by these gurus. I always think that each has a gem that I might use to add to what I am doing now. And the visualization fits in with my imagery technique. If it is something that demands what appears to be a drastic change I usually read the book and then do research. For that reason and to not trigger fibro I went with a ten day juice eating reboot. I would never do more than 30 days unless I was under supervision of a naturopath or medical doctor with weekly blood work. However, I know that many are ignoring this Reboot directive to their peril.

I agree that is the taste buds that are changing, it is not my body wanting to be skinny or fat, it is walking away from processed foods, sugar, coffee and alcohol. My sister-in-law comes from a warm European country where vegetables and fruit and the use of olive oil make up at least 85% of the meal calories. She could never understand my cravings for sugar. She never eats cakes or cookies nor has she ever been on a diet and has always been healthy and at a normal weight. She has been saying that food is medicine for the past 30 years. People got sick on fat free diets years ago and yesterday I listen to the firefighter dude condemn olive oil because it's 100 calories per Tbsp. Some fat is required to digest greens. I balance the ingredients, too.

I had severe reaction to formula when I was 8 months, hospitalized, and had penicillin administered. Thank you for reminding me of that. I was a hyperactive child, a hyper stressed adult, and exercised all my life. I had normal weight with normal bloodwork for most of my life, but I did not feel healthy. When, I hit 50 everything changed. Now injuries took longer to heal, the intensity of exercise had to decrease, and combined with poor eating habits resulted in gradual weight gain. This is the third time I have gained weight and dieted since 50 and I am determined to change my headspace.

Oh. She Glow's cookbook author looks at the ingredients on the bottle, to make up her own, dropping or decreasing sugar and salts, she says. I will check later. If she has a ketchup substitute, I will post it.

• Dahlia

3 years ago

Eurocatbaby, I think I marked you post as inappropriate in error. I meant to say like, but as I have a bandage on the finger, I think it slipped. My apologies, as it is not inappropriate. I hope they leave it on.

• Dahlia

3 years ago

Breakfast was the same as yesterday.

• huskereurocat

3 years ago

I made overnight oatmeal and put banana and almond butter in it with a little agave nectar and it was wonderful. I have a feeling that it would have been sweet enough without the agave nectar but that is for another day!

• Dahlia

3 years ago

Lunch was put together in 10 minutes as I had a busy day. Soup I had made the previous night, with carrots, squash, onion and pulp from juicing. I found the pulp gave the soup a watery taste so I rescued it by adding a tablespoon of coconut milk. The sandwich is sourdough wholewheat with hummus

and veggies.

• huskereurocat

3 years ago

Isn't hummus the bomb. I like what Rip Esselstyn said in his first book that hummus was now his condiment of choice. I have found that I don't like garbanzo beans all that much so I use either cannellini or great northern (both white beans) and it gives it a much creamier texture than the grainy garbanzo beans. Here is the recipe that I use for my hummus.

Cannellini Bean Hummus

2 roasted garlic cloves

15 oz of cooked cannellini beans (or great nnothern beans, experiment)

1/4 C tahini

3 tbsp lemon juice

1 1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

1 tbsp dried parsley (or fresh if you have it)

1) Place all ingredients but parsley in a container and blend with an immersion blender or place in food processor and blend until smooth.

2) Fold in parsley so as not to turn the mixture green (yuk).

3) Refrigerate and enjoy!

• Dahlia

3 years ago

It's the same recipe as mine for hummus. My husband is saying Yes! to beans.

• Dahlia

3 years ago

Dinner tonight was not a success for me, although my husband enjoyed it. It was tempeh. First time eating it. The recipe I used was too sweet for my palate, almost as sweet as Boston baked beans. The kale was too tough, although I cooked it the same way I usually cook it. I enjoyed the tomato. Will try tempeh again, I liked the consistency of it, with another recipe.

• eurocatbaby

3 years ago

Sorry it didn't work out this time. I haven't tried the tempeh yet. I have seen some recipes for BBQ tempeh wings. We did Chiptole Black Bean & sweet potato burgers and they were great. I still don't really care about bread anymore. So we didn't even do any buns or bread. Today in my salad I added a few dulse flakes because they say women need iodine and that is one way to get some. I added some hemp hearts and chia seeds also to my salad.

• Dahlia

3 years ago

I have lost my cravings for bread, too. I make sourdough bread every week from a starter I have had for ages, which I got from my sister-in-law. My husband likes his toast in the morning. It rises for 18 hours and the flavour is marvellous as a lot of the gluten is digested and the taste of the grain remains. It does not have commercial yeast, so no yeast taste. One will be going into the oven soon.

For me it is just another product I can use to make a meal. With good nutrition, I have lost cravings for sugar, coffee, alcohol, packaged goods, cheese, milk products, eating out (my food is so much better). In the past, my afternoon walk meant a stop at the local cafe for a pastry and latte, late night snack was cheese and bread. Now it's a walk and herbal tea at the cafe, the cake does not appeal to me, and I am no longer hungry after my evening meal. I have a plan should I get hungry, it's an orange or Apple.

I have not tried milk products since the reboot as I suspect it will trigger the fibromyalgia. Good news on that front, I have reduced my meds by 25% and will stay a month on that dosage and try a further reduction.

Does the chipotle burger recipe have liquid smoke in it? I have reactions to it, so cannot use it. But black beans and sweet potato sound wonderful, and may be the secret ingredient in the best bean burger tasted at a vegan restaurant. It was so moist.

• Dahlia

3 years ago

This was adapted from Oh! She glows Cookbook. I didn't have almond milk so used coconut milk. 'Oh! she glows' has a blog with many recipes that are in her cookbook.

In evening: Make 3 servings. 1cup rolled oats, 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk, a quarter cup of chia seeds, 1 mashed banana, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Mix, cover, refrigerate overnight.

In morning, stir, and serve with fruit, more coconut milk, favorite sweetener (optional). If you are off early in morning, divide into 3 jars, and pack one in lunch bag with fruit and spoon. Food on the go! This costs less than fast food and takes less time.

• Dahlia

3 years ago

Yesterday, I posted my weight and said that I thought it was lower because I was having an allergic reaction to either fragrance or a preservative on a cut-up and store-bought tray fruit I ate at a party. The reaction was to the tray fruit, as the skin in the lining of my mouth flaked away. Although I had not touched alcohol at the party, yesterday I had the worst hangover of my life.

Several factors will affect weight. Lack of sleep can contribute to a gain of up to two pounds. Stress and additives in foods are others. Sometimes, if the body is starting to eat muscle mass as it is now starving, weight will appear. Even though I am 1.5 pounds lower this morning, it was not the food I consumed or didn't consume yesterday, it was my diet of 85% plant food consumed in stated recipe serving sizes and exercise levels over a period of 5 days. And, had I gained weight, I would not have decreased my food, I would increase the intensity of my exercise.

What I rely on are these factors: sleeping well, energy levels high and not hyper-active, normal bowl movements, stress levels (some stress is good but not hyper stress), endurance, lack of mood swings, tired at the right time of the day, wanting to connect to people rather than hiding in bed.

I cannot meditate when I am stressed but studies show that dancing and singing help with stress, that's why I sing and dance in my living room. Keep dancing!

• eurocatbaby

3 years ago

Brian,

Once you start eating you are adding fiber which will put a little more weight on. This is natural. Once the body adjusts your weight will start coming off again as long as you keep making wise choices. Sounds like you are making good choices so keep on that path. You have come so far you can do this. While we are rebooting is the time to start deciding how we will make the permanent changes for our health. We are so worth it. Put the scales away for now. Give yourself some time to adjust to eating again.

• Brian

3 years ago

up another 0.2 pounds this am.

today I put shrimp and mushrooms in my soup broth.

• Dahlia

3 years ago

Wow, your scale is accurate. Mine only shows half pounds . I love seafood in broth. There is a Martha Steward recipe that I must make, that is just vegetables (carrots, leeks, fennel, spinach, some herbs),vegetable broth, and fillet of salmon, but I have used cod, halibut, shrimp. The fish and spinach goes in after the vegetables have almost cooked, and steams for a few minutes. It is so simple, yet so festive. I was born on the Atlantic sea coast, so Seafood has always been in my diet.

• Dahlia

3 years ago

Was in the city yesterday at a great health food store to purchase organic stapes. The bill was over $100 but the supply will probably last for 6 to 8 weeks. If you are preparing for a reboot, why not ask the Easter Bunny for chia seeds, rolled oats, cashews, almonds, coconut oil, flaxseed, chickpeas,black beans or lentils. Or, add a few of these staples over the next few weeks to your shopping bag. These items are staples in the vegan and vegetarian cooking.

• eurocatbaby

3 years ago

The 1st time I went vegan I went out and bought too many special ingredients not the basics you listed but some of the seasonings and things that you don't use all the time. So it can make it expensive. But this time I have bought things as a recipe calls for something and then you have the extra for later. One example was Harissa that Drew Barrymore used in her pasta dish she made on Ellen's show. I actually used that in pasta dish last night and it adds a nice spicy addition. Being vegan is no more expensive then eating any other way. You can actually eat pretty cheap being vegan. If you make your own beans instead of buying cans. We make a big batch of beans and freeze them in bags in 16 ounce quantities a lot of recipes call for 16 oz. My hubby makes a big batch of brown rice for the week. These are some of the staples that we make ahead so we have basics and can make something quickly. Make your meals fun and exciting. Being vegan is not boring or tasteless. Like Joe's says with the juices use all the colors of the rainbow. Since my taste buds have changed since my reboot I try things a lot of things I thought I would never eat and have enjoyed them. Please make your healthy eating an adventure and enjoy the creativity.

• Dahlia

3 years ago

I agree completely with you that eating vegan or vegetarian is not more expensive, nor more work.. It appears that way when you set up your pantry. I shop for staples once a month, for vegetables and fruit every 5 to 6 days to save time. I can usually find a recipe to make a spice that is missing or find a substitution on the Internet. Often, I will google the recipe, to explore alternative ingredients. It took 15 minutes at most to make soup for lunch tomorrow, it is now cooking, and chia oatmeal for breakfast. Cooking at home is less expensive than eating out.

As you pointed out, an alternative is to shop for the specific recipes which means planning meals for at least two to three days. I like having the basics, as I am not a consistent planner of meals.

• Dahlia

3 years ago

Happy Spring, everyone. Today is first day of spring, and the spring equinox. Here is my detox smoothie from this web site, I had to use the substitute list for the fruits and veggies. Here is link: .Reboot With JoeBlogRecipesSmoothiesAnti-Inflammatory Cherry Chia Smoothie

• eurocatbaby

3 years ago

Looks great.

*Individual results may vary. Reboots are not intended to treat, cure or prevent any medical or health condition. Reboots are not recommended for everyone, and before commencing a Reboot or any other nutritional or dietary regimen, you should consult with your qualified health care provider in order to assess any potential benefits or risks to you with consideration of your personal medical situation. You should also continue to work closely with your qualified health care provider if you intend to engage in a long-term Reboot. Our Guided Reboot Programs are not advised for women who are pregnant or nursing.