Join the Sunshine Clubbe - Open to all - Starting anytime!!!

Post On Group Wall

Group Wall

• jools

9 months ago

Had a bit of a fail as I jumped straight into juicing only with no transition days at all. Day 1 headache & feeling nauseous and ended up eating carrot sticks & humous. Today is Day 2 and managed to get to 5pm and broke again vegetable sticks and the remaining humous. I watched Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead 2 and thought I heard Joe say you can eat vegetables and drink smoothies. Am I hallucinating? I feel very weak as I'm getting over breaking metatarsal last week.

• Rand Newman

9 months ago

HI Juuls. I understand as well as most of us, those first couple days can be difficult. Having done more than I can remember of cleanses I’ve always allowed myself those veggies. If it keeps me from reaching for the phone to order a pizza I’ll tear me up some veggies. Plus zero downside. I just read Joe Cross reboot book and he says it’s fine, at least your giving your body micro and macronutrients instead of indulging on something that provides little to no energy. One of my weeknesses is chips. So I make my my own veggie chips in the dehydrator during the first couple of days for that ravenous moments. I’m testing out a new air fryer as it only takes a wisp of olive oil and it’s like they are baked /fried. Anything to keep me pushing forward. I hope this helps.

• Soose

9 months ago

Hey Rand and Jools, I really like the "zig and zag" way of calling it. I also reread the Joe reboot book and he does say a reboot can include solids. A relief to read. So eating veg and hummus is not a "fast" per se but it's still a reboot! I think the suggestion is eat what you'd juice?

Can I suggest an improved hummus? The Rawvolution cookbook guy has a good raw zucchini hummus. (And we use avocado instead of oil.) I made some tonight.

Also, when I was transitioning, I dehydrated some frozen green beans. If you have to chew, that's pretty healthy.

Anyway, I thought about this "are solids okay" question early on while I was trying to decide whether to take a headache med the first day or so when I got to feeling sick... I came down on the side of taking that med so I would not be miserable enough to break my fast.

And I know there are thoughts that carbonated water is not great for the stomach, but my homemade ginger ale is really healthy other than the carbonated part of it, and if it helps me stay on the reboot the first week or so until "cut over" then it's what I've decided to do. Same decision.

[ Footnote: I admit I personally took that "eating solids are okay" when I read it as permission to relax and I kept eating in transition mode longer and not getting to the fasting part as soon as I personally intended or needed to. I became aware of this when I started seeing some people who started their reboot [ and fast] after me but just followed directions zoom on way past me. Wow! Doppler effect, lol! But we all work at our own speed, and eventually I got to juice only for a good while. And I'll be back there. Anyway, just a warning not to get stuck there if it's not where you intend to BE long term. HTH. ]

• Vladimir

9 months ago

18 pounds down after 5 days juiceonly (plus 3 transition days - not sure if to count those as there was mostly solid food even if vegetables as that is eazy compared to juice only)

I watched Fnsd 1&2, and had the most intense cravi vs for burgers yet! I am not watching that crap again till I am off the juice!!.

It was worse than coo king and deboning the chicken for my husky, and that makes no sense whatsover..

• Soose

9 months ago

How about calling it 3+5? 18 lbs is amazing! Way to go! Clothes getting looser?

Strange about the movies but it's been awhile since I watched them. They're on my list. I had a day arranged with a neighbor but something came up to prevent watching and I just haven't gotten back to them this Summer. I thought the first movie was better than the second.

• Soose

9 months ago

@Nischal, saw this: "15-20 mushrooms that I add doesn't yield much but the benefits of mushrooms are something to consider."

Fuhrman says eat mushrooms -- but that we shouldn't eat them raw, I think. (Except was there one variety?) Do you cook / sautee your mushrooms before juicing? My friend who is 100% ETL compliant keeps onions and mushrooms sauteed in water, and adds them to her salad, I believe.

• Nischal

9 months ago

Thanks Soose for your notification.

Here is a relevant post on the net.

http://www.wholefoodplantbasedrd.com/2018/04/mushr...

It has a mixed bag of opinions. Yes, better be safe than sorry.

• Soose

9 months ago

All that experience the first time around is priceless. And now, you know health CAN HAPPEN. You're right, it's a mind game! You GOT this!

• Soose

9 months ago

October Jones, who brought you Texting with Dog.

• Trezzy

9 months ago

Thanks Soose!

• Trezzy

9 months ago

Day 12! Only a few more days until this becomes a habit right? I'm down 13 pounds and averaging about .5 pound loss a day which is pretty average. I decided to rest my body yesterday because I was so exhausted and sleepy. The rest felt so good and I'll be back in the gym today. I'm finding that this time around its a bit more of an emotional and mental journey for me. If you'd asked me 2 years ago if I would gain all my weight back and more I would have screamed NO! I'm afraid of failing. So I'm trying to follow the law of attraction and keep positive thoughts and intentions in my head.

• lisa6

9 months ago
    Well done Treacy! I have been following your YouTube posts & you have been motivating me to stay on track.....better. I have had a few social events. I have been easy on myself & eaten salad, a simple one & drank plain vodka Soda with lime juice. This hasn’t affected my weight loss or mind set to get back into it the next day. Unfortunately it has been twice in 2 days & because of a family member passing & a funeral. I am in Australia & work in kg so I can tell you I have lost 3.8kg in 6 days. This is a good loss for me. I think 5 pound is about 2.2kg? Please keep making your posts on YouTube I love ???? them!
  • Soose

9 months ago

I took it easy this afternoon. Then my husband helped me juice tonight. I juiced 5 lbs carrots with 1 huge cuke and about 1.5 large bunches celery. (I take the inner yellowish parts and chop them for my son's soup.)

And my centrifugal juicer just spits out the top celery leaves so those go into the blender with the rest of the wet cuke/celery pulp for a 2nd pass in the press. We're really low on juice (or were) so I turned one recipe into two so to speak. The carrot pulp all went into the press separately. Added that to the carrot/cuke/celery juice from the juicer. Usually I'd add beets but have none.

Then, I decided to leave the very wet green pulp in the blender -- green. I took the remaining green leafy part of the celery -- again, the juicer would just spit it out -- and another large cuke and a good bit of Lacinato kale with extra stalks to turn it dark green, all in the blender, added 2 small granny smiths and 2 lemons and turned that into a green juice with stevia. It wasn't quite lemony enough so I added a bit of citric acid. If it wasn't so late in the evening I probably would have found other stuff to add to it. (Hmm, maybe I'll mix it with the remainder of a bottle of Suja in the morning?)

All bottled. Tonight's yield: 3 quarts of a not very sweet carrot juice; 2 quarts of a lemony green juice. When I get up in the morning I can make a third juice, or a smoothie. Whatever everyone wants. I'm grateful to not be starting tomorrow off with no juice in the fridge! We have friends coming for a movie tomorrow night and I have other things to do during the day.

Be well, and juice on! :)

• DiAnn

9 months ago

RM, did you see Joe's email today about his 10 day water fast?

• RM

9 months ago

DiAnn, yes I did. I encourage everyone to read Joe's post today. He just completed a 10 water only fast and recommends it as one of the many reboot options we can use to achieve our health goals. Thanks DiAnn.

• Soose

9 months ago

Hi, all. I am way behind on reading posts and the groups have been active. I will read up tomorrow afternoon; gone in the morning.

@RM, thanks for notes about volume of juice. I just never got an answer on that.

(I think the juice builder calculator - not their recipes but the one where you type your own recipe in - is based on grams, but I could be wrong; it displays a percentage at the top. I knew this might be diff from the site and recipes here. Just using it to explain and compare.)

I will measure ours by volume in future. I guess for sure when you did a guided reboot they explained. But if I have a counter FULL of greens, I might not get that much volume of green juice. While even a small fruit I will get more volume. So are you very sure it's not volume of veg to fruit pre-juiced? While still on the counter so to speak, before putting it into the juicer? I guess I could take a known recipe and examine it, assuming it fits the rule. (Lazy me. lol)

The 80/20 rule is important. Not trying to be overly didactic about it. Just want to make sure we're not overly fruiting our juices.

Okay, I get tired at night and am running on, lol. Ya'll just ignore this. I have not even managed to read up on this group from this morning.

re: watermelon, may sound like I am juicing a lot of them but there are 3 of us drinking here, remember. I am trying to juice one watermelon a week; sometimes it's a bit more often. Plus, I am removing most of the red inner fruit and juicing the rind. I just don't bother to continually say that unless I am talking to newbies. I have started adding cukes, too, sometimes celery. And even once it's all juiced, I use it a lot of times to make other juices, including the green juices. It's really not sweet here, all who taste it agree. But when I have time, I'll pass a watermelon as we make it here against your volume measurements and see how it does.

• RM

9 months ago

Soose, I am 100 percent confident the 80 / 20 rule is based on volume after juicing. Juice 80 to 90 % of the recipe as vegetables, then add only 10 to 20% as fruit juice. If you are using a 32 ounce quart container, 26 ounces is vegetable juice and 6 ounces maximum is fruit juice. This is critical.

One papaya in Australia is huge, and about twice the size of any papaya I can get in the US. So it is always based on VOLUME AFTER JUICING. There is alot of fructose in watermelon rind, actually in the whole watermelon. I know you also juice alot of berries. These are wonderful healthy fruit, but if the person has an obesity or weight problem eating or drinking fruit juice will not help. Once the elevated nsulin is normalized, go for it. I will be able to have fruit juice in the future, once I heal the insulin resistance. However if anyone out there is having trouble losing weight, focus on reducing your insulin levels. Fruit, fructose, will definitely increase your insulin levels even at 10 to 20 % of the recipe. See the yummy all vegetable juice recipe Trezzy posted. Thus is her special savory recipe and it is a WINNER.

Hope this information helps.

• Soose

9 months ago

RM, thanks. See, it's hard to really be sure with both email and these sites.

We don't use a lot of berries. I keep one bottle of berry puree and put about 1 tablespoon in a 16oz or 20oz juice or gingerale, for flavoring. And we don't have that every day. When we eat salads, we do sometimes put 1/2 cup blueberries on the salad, ETL style (Fuhrman). But that's in a huge huge salad. I am ashamed to admit that I have berries go bad in the fridge.

• RM

9 months ago

Wednesday, August 1st, Day 7 WO Fast. I am over the hump now and settling in to a comfortable routine. Will continue WO for another week to allow some amazing internal healing, including the peak of healing for me which is called AUTOPHAGY. This phase is excellent for getting rid of old damaged proteins, tumors, cells. Tumbleweed, have you triggered this process? Do look into it because I know many Cancer Doctors in Boston that use this for their patients.

Zeke asked about INSULIN RESISTANCE. An example Dr. Fung uses is a key in a locked door. Insulin is a hormone that acts on a cell as a key that fits in a lock. When insulin (the key) no longer fits into the receptor (the lock), the cell is called insulin resistant. Because the fit is poor, the door does not open fully. As a result, less glucose enters the cell and the cell senses that there is too little glucose inside the cell (smart cells!). Because the glucose can not get in the insulin piles up outside the cell doors. Starved for glucose the cell continues to demands more, and to compensate the body produces extra keys (extra insulin). The fit is still poor, but having additional insulin secreted causes a few more doors to open until the cell has the normal amount of glucose to function. But all this extra insulin piling up outside the cells creates constantly elevated insulin levels, which leads to insulin resistance, which leads to obesity. Hope this information helps. This is an important issue to understand, and a medical condition I have and want to heal. No carbs or sugar for me, and minimal amounts of protein. Protein elevates insulin too but is essential in small amounts.

Wishing you all low insulin levels!

• Vladimir

9 months ago

@RM:

- 15 pounds in 6 days (only last 3 were juice-only, first 3 days were combined juice&veggies) probably sounds high, but if you look at my photo (191 cm / ~6'3" / 310 pounds at the photo time - last year), you see there's way, way, way more to go, so too early to celebrate

- I do agree, that dropping from 295 to 280 in 6 days is faster than I expected.

- But, at least 2 pounds must be subtracted, because after 6 days, your bowels are finally empty (that happened actually only yesterday)

- probably 1-2 pounds should be extracted for the excess water that the body gets rid of in first few days - though I did a lot of exercise, 3 weeks prior to reboot, as my idea was to exercise daily, which I did 4x out of 6 days, so far (135 mins, then 120, then ~95 mins, and yesterday only 60 minutes on the elliptical)

- and I suspect that I lost a lot of the weight from muscles, as that's easiest for the body to take from (and they are heavier than fat per volume unit), plus it gets confirmed on the elliptical, as I'm getting weaker each day

- But, I was able to easily zip up the leather jacket (that I could previously only zip up by not breathing :) at 295, and not all when I was 310 ), and it actually fit comfortable (as in, not very tight, but starting to be loose), so some of those 15 pounds are, indeed, real. And, that new 2XL t-shirt, which was super tight, is now even loose

- Tomorrow I'm going for the 2,200 mile road trip, so no gym, lots of food temptations every few hours on a gas station, but I will have my 2.5 gallons of juice (in the cooler) with me

*Individual results may vary. Reboots are not intended to treat, cure or prevent any medical or health condition. Reboots are not recommended for everyone, and before commencing a Reboot or any other nutritional or dietary regimen, you should consult with your qualified health care provider in order to assess any potential benefits or risks to you with consideration of your personal medical situation. You should also continue to work closely with your qualified health care provider if you intend to engage in a long-term Reboot. Our Guided Reboot Programs are not advised for women who are pregnant or nursing.