Join the Sunshine Clubbe - Open to all - Starting anytime!!!

Post On Group Wall

Group Wall

• Soose

4 months ago

The answer on the 80/20 rule from an actual page on RebootWithJoe.com

The 80/20 Golden Reboot Rule: What Does It Mean? By: Claire Georgiou, Reboot Naturopath, B.HSc ND

SunnyRain's method seems to be what they mean. I found this by going back out to Google and googling for "rebootwithjoe.com 80 20" or somesuch. Search here does not work for me but this is twice I've found something official I needed with a google, long as it's been there long enough to be crawled by google in the past. (It won't find new people, for me.)

• Soose

4 months ago

Okay, juice buds. What did you juice today?

I was in a real rush first thing this morning, because I made salads for everyone first. We only had the mostly green 80/20 watermelon juice for the day. (Lots of cukes added to bring the ratio towards veg; I also trim off a lot of the red fruit and pack it in chunks for my son or neighbors -- don't need the sugar in our juice right now. I'm going to explore other veg than cukes to add to watermelon, maybe more nutritious veg.. But while watermelons are available and cheap, we need the volume for my family of 3! )

So I started out with a cantelope that was on the edge of being past its life... made a smoothie of it for my husband this morning. Now that I know how to quickly peel cantelopes, that's a breeze, just about the fastest thing I can make. It really froths up -- no time to press it. But he's "after the reboot" and some cantelope fiber in one of his juices is okay for him.

Also: Packed him two of the watermelon juices -- one with a lot of lemon and some protein powder added. Then, started a batch of carrot/cuke/celery, just got far enough to bottle 16 oz and launch him out the door with his juices and lunch. lol Mission accomplished! It was a rush! (I took the evening off rather than taking care of this yesterday. Needed a mental break and took it! )

After my juicing and biking (did my 45 mins, yeah!), I got back to that kitchen and created what turned out to be 5 quarts of a juice: the rest of the 5lbs carrots - 2/3 of a large cantelope - 1 or 2 cukes (don't remember) - the rest of 2 bunches of celery - 3 small golden beet roots -- and a large bunch of rainbow chard stems. (I am saving the greens for a green juice but I have decided I don't like colored chard stems turning my green juices red.)

3 of those quarts were from juicing. 2 qts from pressing the pulp. (Working on improvements to my pressing operation; it was easier today.)

YYWV -- Your YIELD WILL Vary. LOL (My old Breville like juicer does not have a great yield - very wet pulp. I can't throw that away! But I have a very expensive juicer and it gives me wet pulp, too! So I use the cheap one which is faster, then press. )

Feels good to have good juice in the fridge! Tomorrow I'll likely make a green juice. Cleaning out the fridge. And shopping.

[ I also had soup and salad for lunch, as I'm transitioning back to WFPB right now. Not juice only currently. That's going well. Feeling good! I badly need to try some new salad dressing recipes. Not overly fond of the balsamic I made last, though my husband has a commercial balsamic he likes, fat/sugar free, acceptable salt. I keep forgetting I can make fresh salsa with tomatoes/scallions/cukes/lime. Just something to wet the veggies down. ]

• jools

4 months ago

Hi Soose & Rand, thank you for your invaluable advice. I struggled a bit but when I did finish the 3 day juice I continued eating much healthier than I have for a couple of years so I'm not too disappointed. I started another juice fast, this is day 2 and 5pm in England so halfway through I guess, although I definitely felt more than lightheaded earlier, good job I was sat down. I''m in this for the long haul so I'm going to try and finish this juice fast and then decide if I can carry on juice only or by having a juice in the morning, a smoothie for lunch and a healthy main meal in the evening. I know that switching lunch for smoothie will help me when I get back to work and I have really enjoyed the mornings with hot lemon water and juice. I want this to be enjoyable and to establish healthy eating and the few cravings I've had have been for vegetables or fruit rather than chocolate and biscuits. That might slow down weightloss somewhat but I don't want to lose it only to put it back on (like I have every other time). Thanks for the humous tip Soosie I'll definitely give it a try and let you know how it goes. Love Jools x

• Soose

4 months ago

@RM, where were we talking about the fructose and the 80/20 rule and watermelon? I scrolled back a few pages and could not find it on the groups. I posted on Happy Juicing.

• Leslie

4 months ago

Renee Marie is on a water fast you may want to try sending her a message privately that way she will see it when she checks the site for PM's

• Soose

4 months ago

Thanks, Leslie. I'm good. :) Will send her a message. I know she's not around on this site every day right now. Partially was just letting others who were following the 80/20 and the watermelon questions that I ran an experiment to see just what ratio my watermelon was (the way I juice it with 1/2" fruit on the rind). That's what I put over on the other Happy group. lol Next, I'm going to take one of Joe's recipes like Mean Green at some point and do the same, see what ratio it comes out at.

• Soose

4 months ago

Morning, Sunshiners! This is my motivation for myself today:

I just have to DO it.

• Soose

4 months ago

Morning, Sunshine's! :) I'm waiting on dawn here. Woke up too early. We cleaned the garage shelves under my den stairs all day Saturday into the evening, and I'm itchy. So I think I'm going to get a head start on juicing to use the time. I can at least clean carrots without waking anyone.

First step is inventorying the fridge...

-- I think we have one 32oz bottle of carrot juice but we may have broached that bottle in the evening.

-- And there's the large back-up bottle of Suja, also broached.

-- I do have a supply of ginger root juice -- made it for guests Friday night and they liked the homemade ginger ale too! And I do have some seltzer water to make ginger ale. (Important for Sunday's -- I'll have no worries about facing temptation today over at the soda fountain at my husband's office.)

Possibilities:

-- a thin green smoothie for breakfast? ( spinach-banana-peach-pineapple-limes + protein + flax).

-- And maybe watermelon rind (maybe this with protein instead); that's good and fast to produce.

-- And I want to make some carrot-beet-celery-cuke juice today. I may just use the juicer and store the pulp for tomorrow morning to press. That didn't work badly last time. Or my husband would operate the press when he gets up.

-- And I can use the beet greens for a green lemonade.

I've been adding even more celery and cucumber to the carrot lately, to cut sweetness levels. Something in that carrot and beet juice really feels good to my system! I think the beets are really good for me, but I don't get the same feeling from the golden beets as the red, so maybe that part is psychological.

I do pay attention when something like beets -- or red bell pepper -- just seem very enticing. I think there's a reason my body is craving something like that, some deficit nutritionally.

We're eating salads, too. Need to make up more basic mix; not enough to get thru today. (I have Lacinato kale, cabbage, purple cabbage, parsley, brussels sprouts, carrots -- all need to be shredded or slivered. Will check and make sure I am not missing any other greens in the fridge. I know we have spinach and a nice bunch of chard for juicing. And some lettuces? )

Enough rambling from me! Juice ON! (And if you're eating WFPB now, meet Leslie and me over on the Plant Based Eating after the Reboot group, please.)

• Rand Newman

4 months ago

Sorry Jools my autocorrect spelled juuls.i posted a comment below ..

• Rand Newman

4 months ago

Hi Everyone! I’m new to your group but no newbie to juice cleanses and reboots. Best guess first one 25 plus years ago. Living in the Florida Keys we are surrounded with some of the best restaurants imaginable. Their are literally 38 restaurants within 10 minutes of my home. Many we hit regularly by boat. Ya better know how to zig after all that zagging with incredible foods and pina coladas. I’ve done cleanses in excess of 90 days and the hardest part is getting started especially the first 2 to 5 days, depending on how well I prepared before full blown juicing. Eating salads or gorging on a pizza as If I’m walking the green mile and it’s my last meal.

The current juice fast started 8 days ago and I’ve dropped 15.2 lbs. I’m a bigger guy so I am use to bigger losses early on. A great metaphor I learned from Tony Robbins, ‘’Am I cleansing or clogging’ when you think of what we are doing. There is no such thing of doing this Perfectly, we all have our moments where we zag, just zig right back. And when your cleanse is over think that when your about to eat something ask yourself is this cleansing and nourishing or am I clogging my arteries. Because as an expert on zigzagging back n forth, nothing taste as good as healthy and vibrant feels is my incantation while cleansing! Jeez, maybe I should follow my own advise????

• Soose

4 months ago

25 years! Wow! Congrats on your 15.2 lbs, Rand! Good luck with this reboot!

• jools

4 months ago

Had a bit of a fail as I jumped straight into juicing only with no transition days at all. Day 1 headache & feeling nauseous and ended up eating carrot sticks & humous. Today is Day 2 and managed to get to 5pm and broke again vegetable sticks and the remaining humous. I watched Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead 2 and thought I heard Joe say you can eat vegetables and drink smoothies. Am I hallucinating? I feel very weak as I'm getting over breaking metatarsal last week.

• Rand Newman

4 months ago

HI Juuls. I understand as well as most of us, those first couple days can be difficult. Having done more than I can remember of cleanses I’ve always allowed myself those veggies. If it keeps me from reaching for the phone to order a pizza I’ll tear me up some veggies. Plus zero downside. I just read Joe Cross reboot book and he says it’s fine, at least your giving your body micro and macronutrients instead of indulging on something that provides little to no energy. One of my weeknesses is chips. So I make my my own veggie chips in the dehydrator during the first couple of days for that ravenous moments. I’m testing out a new air fryer as it only takes a wisp of olive oil and it’s like they are baked /fried. Anything to keep me pushing forward. I hope this helps.

• Soose

4 months ago

Hey Rand and Jools, I really like the "zig and zag" way of calling it. I also reread the Joe reboot book and he does say a reboot can include solids. A relief to read. So eating veg and hummus is not a "fast" per se but it's still a reboot! I think the suggestion is eat what you'd juice?

Can I suggest an improved hummus? The Rawvolution cookbook guy has a good raw zucchini hummus. (And we use avocado instead of oil.) I made some tonight.

Also, when I was transitioning, I dehydrated some frozen green beans. If you have to chew, that's pretty healthy.

Anyway, I thought about this "are solids okay" question early on while I was trying to decide whether to take a headache med the first day or so when I got to feeling sick... I came down on the side of taking that med so I would not be miserable enough to break my fast.

And I know there are thoughts that carbonated water is not great for the stomach, but my homemade ginger ale is really healthy other than the carbonated part of it, and if it helps me stay on the reboot the first week or so until "cut over" then it's what I've decided to do. Same decision.

[ Footnote: I admit I personally took that "eating solids are okay" when I read it as permission to relax and I kept eating in transition mode longer and not getting to the fasting part as soon as I personally intended or needed to. I became aware of this when I started seeing some people who started their reboot [ and fast] after me but just followed directions zoom on way past me. Wow! Doppler effect, lol! But we all work at our own speed, and eventually I got to juice only for a good while. And I'll be back there. Anyway, just a warning not to get stuck there if it's not where you intend to BE long term. HTH. ]

• Vladimir

4 months ago

18 pounds down after 5 days juiceonly (plus 3 transition days - not sure if to count those as there was mostly solid food even if vegetables as that is eazy compared to juice only)

I watched Fnsd 1&2, and had the most intense cravi vs for burgers yet! I am not watching that crap again till I am off the juice!!.

It was worse than coo king and deboning the chicken for my husky, and that makes no sense whatsover..

• Soose

4 months ago

How about calling it 3+5? 18 lbs is amazing! Way to go! Clothes getting looser?

Strange about the movies but it's been awhile since I watched them. They're on my list. I had a day arranged with a neighbor but something came up to prevent watching and I just haven't gotten back to them this Summer. I thought the first movie was better than the second.

*Individual results may vary. Reboots are not intended to treat, cure or prevent any medical or health condition. Reboots are not recommended for everyone, and before commencing a Reboot or any other nutritional or dietary regimen, you should consult with your qualified health care provider in order to assess any potential benefits or risks to you with consideration of your personal medical situation. You should also continue to work closely with your qualified health care provider if you intend to engage in a long-term Reboot. Our Guided Reboot Programs are not advised for women who are pregnant or nursing.