MARCHing into Health 30~day Challenge (beginning March 1st....join us for 3, 5, 10 days...whatever your goal)

Post On Group Wall

Group Wall

• Dahlia

3 years ago

Hello everyone, After you have finished your reboot join us at Reboot Finished! Now what? as we explore a plant based diet to stay healthy. We are vegans, vegetarians, and almost vegetarians and are at different stages of our journey. We post our meals, share stories, recipes, and support each other. A welcome to all who have finished reboot.

http://community.rebootwithjoe.com/groups/view/code/YLXTMDYJYLRD23ZHVAF3

• Mary

3 years ago

Thanks, Dahlia, that's exactly what I was looking for. See you over in the new group!

• Kouzelna

3 years ago

Wow, looks like a great group! :)

• Kouzelna

3 years ago

Hey y'all,

Since Klemmie is wrapping up the group, I've sprung over to this new one that's starting. If any of you are still Rebooting like me, come join me! It's a strict "no food talk" group, so juice-talk only! ;)

Spring into a 30-day juice fast beginning on April 1, 2016

http://community.rebootwithjoe.com/groups/view/cod...

• Klemmie

3 years ago

Well, y'all~. It was a wonderful month of growth, discovery and learning. And loss!! Yay ????. I plan to do another reboot in a couple months so I'll see if any of y'all are still on. I want to thank each and every one of you for all your support and contributions to our group. It really helped me through this transition, and I am deeply grateful. Saturday I'm starting cross fit. Did it years ago and loved it but moved too far away and gained a bunch of weight back. Thought that was just part of my past. But feeling good...nutrition back on track...time to get this body moving!! Sending you all heartfelt love, gratitude, and brightest blessings on your journey. Peace~ Klemmie

• Mary

3 years ago

Thank you Klemmie for starting this group. It was a good one! Take care and keep in touch, everyone. I am focusing on exercise this month, with a goal of walking 4 miles a day, along with keeping up the good habits I've developed this month. Hope to "see" you all again. Yours, Mary

• Kouzelna

3 years ago

Thanks so much, Klemmie! Really grateful for the site. I guess we'll all have to look for another? Anyway, good luck with Crossfit! I always wanted to try it, but it looks way too hard and way, way too expensive for me. All my friends that do it are in awesome shape though, that's for sure!

• Rob57

3 years ago

Hi Klemmie. I'll add to the thank you chorus for starting this MARCHing group. Lost 23 lbs off my frame and gained a new outlook for a healthier food lifestyle. Juice will now be a part of that. Best of luck to everyone. Good health to you all. I've received my "marching" orders.

• Dahlia

3 years ago

It was a great group, Klemmie. So positive. Thank you. Have lost 13 pounds so far, continued loosing while transitioning out and finding a new way to eat. Have 30 more to go, but want to do that by eating, and will use juicing when I hit plateaus. Awesome that you are back in Cross Fit.

• Rob57

3 years ago

Hi Klemmie et al. I am up for a Reboot anytime so keep me in the loop. Have a blast with Crossfit. I hope to resurrect my running if my aging knees permit. Peace and joy and health to you.

Rob

• Mary

3 years ago

Hi everyone, I would like to warn you about something. The other day I got my blood results from my physical. For the past 10 years I have been keeping track of my main numbers -- weight, cholesterol, blood sugar, iron, etc. -- in a spreadsheet, so I can see whats going up and down. Well, this time I was pleased to see that my blood sugar had dropped safely out of the "pre-diabetic" range, and my cholesterol had dropped significantly, from 224 at my last physical (2 years ago) to 188 now. But then I looked at the details. My "good" cholesterol (HDL) had dropped by 24 points, while my "bad" cholesterol had only dropped by 15 points. So, I did some research, and, surprise, one of the main reasons that "good" cholesterol goes down is "an extremely low fat diet", which is what I have been on (juice + veggies). THEREFORE, henceforth, I will be adding a "fat" component to my daily regimen... warm, homemade almond milk (flavored with vanilla, cinnamon, a dash of salt, and sweetened with a date) is my new favorite comfort food. Anyway, isn't it interesting how diet really does affect our blood chemistry so directly? No statins for me!

• Kouzelna

3 years ago

An extremely low fat diet also lowers testosterone in men, which among other things, is responsible for muscle growth and maintenance. Good to know, guys!
    When on a strict diet, (and when I'm also exercising), I make sure to get 35g of healthy fats per day. I use 2 tbs olive oil, for example. On a Reboot I do not, as I want to force my body to use its fat stores and 'evil' cholesterol for its fatty acid needs.

• Klemmie

3 years ago

Congrats on your results and yummy solution. Thanks for sharing :)

• Rob57

3 years ago

Hi folks. Well coming to the end of my 30 day Reboot. Going to end it on the 31st, so won't be stepping on the scales again until the morning of April 1st. Feeling optimistic that I reached my goal. Will keep you posted.

• Kouzelna

3 years ago

Awesome Rob! You continue to inspire me to see it through no matter the cost, because I can look ahead to achieving my dreams for a healthy, happy weight that makes me feel proud of myself. I wish you the best of success, and am grateful for your example to me.

I hope that you have a plan to eat healthy and keep the weight off after this. My most successful Reboot a few years back turned sour when I had no such plan, and the weight creeped back on over the next six months until it was all back. I'm so happy to say that this time, doing the Guided Reboot first gave me such a plan, and I'm that much more highly motivated because I know for certain that I can keep the weight off once it's gone.

• Klemmie

3 years ago

Wonderful, Rob! Thanks for all your support, encouragement, and as Kouzelna said...inspiration. Hope the scale speaks sweetly :)

• Kouzelna

3 years ago

Hey Groovy Juicers,

Just to say that I'm shopped, prepped, focused and free of distractions (FINALLY!) and I am super excited about the next 15 days! Glad to be here. Only 8.5 kilos (20 lbs) to go to my goal!

Not a moment too soon, I think, because my "fat jeans" are pretty much falling apart at this point, and the three new pair in my closet still too tight. Big tears in the pocket areas, (pockets themselves are useless at this point), and I just noticed a nice-sized hole on the back! Have to wear nice undies, I guess ;). I would throw them away, but everyone keeps telling me here that they are the new "fashion." I had someone actually comment to me today at work, "Wow, your jeans must have been very expensive," ha ha! ;)

• Kouzelna

3 years ago

Here are comments from Rachel Gargano, one of the awesome nutritionists on this site, as to my Reboot Customizations post (my stuff is in italics):

-------------------------------

Great to hear from you!

Glad to see that things are still on track for you and that you're still excited about juicing and continuing on your journey.

Here are my thoughts on your changes:

1. adding 1/8 tsp. of Real Salt (unrefined salt from Utah) to each 1/2 liter juice for electrolytes

Continue with the salt, yes! BUT I actually recommend that you use table salt with added iodine. Many people have thyroid issues now and a lot of it is because people aren't getting enough iodine. Iodine was added to salt to help prevent goiter and thyroid problems a long time ago and it worked for a long time, but now people are turning to salts that do not have this mineral added to them (sea salt, unrefined salts, etc) and thyroid issues are skyrocketing again. So unless you want to add in sea vegetables (such as kelp or seaweed) or scallops, cod, sardines, or yogurt - which are the good sources of iodine, then I'd add in some Iodized salt to your juice.

2. blend in avocado to as many juices as possible for taste and appetite control

Avocado is a great addition and packed with healthy fats - but that also means it's packed with calories. One whole avocado has about 350 calories (more calories than is in one juice many times). So I would be conscious of how much you are added per day as it could impact your weight loss.

3. add 2 tsp. of organic psyllium husk to each juice for appetite control

Psyllium husk: Go for it! Just make sure it is unsweetened and no added flavors or colors.

4. four juices per day to save time (also see #5 below), focusing on green juice

I know it's a pain in the butt to get make more than one juice; but having only green isn't appropriate for a varied, nutrient-packed diet. So make sure you are getting all colors into this one big juice (it will probably look more brown by the end if you are combining the green and orange/red juices). I just don't want you do go through the 15 days and not do as well with your health because of a lack of variety. The red/orange juices really aren't that much higher in calories. But to make up for this you can reduce the fruit content by half and add in more veg. This will make a bigger impact.

5. start the day with 120 calorie, 20g protein shake, in place of one juice

Good on that protein!

6. Occasional apple or carrots/celery if desperate at work or before bed, and no juice/food after 6pm

Definitely add in some whole produce when needed.

Sounds like a great plan! You can always make more adjustments as you go along and see how your weight is responding.

Good luck!

Rachel

---------------------------

• Klemmie

3 years ago

Wow, very cool. You were pretty dang close on your own. Nice...you are well prepared and on your way. Music festivals are calling the shirtless wonder...one juice at a time...one day at a time. You got this!

• Kouzelna

3 years ago

Thank you Klemmie for the encouragement! I sure need it. :)

• Mary

3 years ago

Rachel sounds like a reality-based nutritionist, unlike many out there. I like her positive and non-puritanical attitude. And interesting information about iodine. Someday I will learn to eat sardines.

• Kouzelna

3 years ago

Ha ha! I "learned" to eat them when we didn't have tuna or fresh fish available where I live. Now that we do, I certainly never eat them by choice!

• bostonbren

3 years ago

thanks for sharing that. I love getting good tips & she certainly has them.

• Kouzelna

3 years ago

Hey everybody,

I'm so happy to say that my holidays are over, my fridge clear of food and packed with prepped produce, juicer clean and ready to go, storage jars and glasses all laid out on the counter, and I'm off to Happy Juiceland tomorrow morning. :)

By the way, for those of you who were so kind to comment on my post about my Reboot customizations, above are some suggestions to me from Rachel, one of the great nutritionists on this website. So awesome of her to help me out!

• Mary

3 years ago

I just had the most frustrating argument with one of my sons. I told him that if he wants to move back in with me for a few months, he needs to respect my need to avoid carbs etc. by not bringing junk into the house and not be always making popcorn and baking biscuits and things that I know will destroy my willpower. I thought he would be sympathetic, but instead he argued, "No, you need to eat, and I like to cook, so what's the problem? Just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you can't eat rice and beans and pasta!" (This from a 6-foot tall 23-year old boy who could eat a horse every day and not get fat.) I said, "No, I can't. Maybe YOU can, but you're not a 50-year old menopausal woman," and he yelled back, "No, but I WILL BE someday, and I will still eat those things!" ... at which point we both had a good laugh.

• RM

3 years ago

Mary, hilarious post. I am proud of you for asking for what you want, and setting boundaries. It is important to have support and understanding as we make changes in our lives. You will always get it here, so do check in regularly and let us know about your day and what the ups and downs were. I took a communications class at work, and one of the things the teacher taught us is to be mindful of our language. You did everything she said to do. Good job.

• Klemmie

3 years ago

Hahaha...Thats's hysterical!! So good for you to make your needs known. And when your son catches on that this isn't a diet you're on, rather a lifestyle change, he'll likely get creative in the kitchen and be your best ally. Good for you, Mary :)

• Kouzelna

3 years ago

HI Mary, funny stuff! But frustrating, I know. I'm lucky to live alone now, but when I used to live with several other people I had my own fridge and food storage area, and their area was HANDS OFF to me. It was the only way I could both control my diet, and keep bits of my food from disappearing. ;)

Another family I read about did the opposite. Their athletic young son had a special cabinet that contained 100% of his snack foods, and the rest of the family stayed clear of his space. That simple solution solved the issue for them, and I wish you guys luck as well.

Don't be hard on yourself about it, though. Willpower is for suckers, I truly believe it. We can't stand up to cravings for food because we are designed to NEED FOOD. Duh! And junk food is packed with stuff your body loves and thrives on: sugar, salt, fat calories for storage. It's not your body's job to make you look nice in your favorite jeans, just to keep you alive. So how are we supposed to fight the exact way in which we are designed to function in this world?

Better for us to build healthy new habits that keep us living a healthy lifestyle. When I crave something, and I'm on a Reboot, I just have a juice because I figure I must be hungry if I'm craving something. Works every single time, never let me down once. If I'm out of juice, and can't say no, then I have an apple and again it solves the issue, for me at least.

• Rob57

3 years ago

Hello all. 6 days to go on my 30 day Reboot (will probably take it right to the 31st) and I am proud to say that I have shed 20 lbs from my frame. 3 more to reach my goal and the healthy weight I want to stay at. Looking forward to implementing juice as a regular part of my lifestyle (avoiding the 4 letter word d**t) and moving to more plant based nutrition.

• RM

3 years ago

@Rob57 you are amazing. Whether it is 5, 10, or 30 days of juicing, it is tough but worth it. Your body thanks you for taking care of it, and knowing what it needed to be at it's optimum. I am ready to celebrate your Day 30 of 30 on March 30th.

• Klemmie

3 years ago

Go, Rob! Sounds ideal. Congrats :)

• Linda

3 years ago

I hit liked but it flagged by accident. Sorry :)

• Kouzelna

3 years ago

You're an inspiration Rob, and watching your transformation is what is encouraging me to give my Reboot another shot rather than go back to solid food so quickly.

*Individual results may vary. Reboots are not intended to treat, cure or prevent any medical or health condition. Reboots are not recommended for everyone, and before commencing a Reboot or any other nutritional or dietary regimen, you should consult with your qualified health care provider in order to assess any potential benefits or risks to you with consideration of your personal medical situation. You should also continue to work closely with your qualified health care provider if you intend to engage in a long-term Reboot. Our Guided Reboot Programs are not advised for women who are pregnant or nursing.