Reboot Runners

Post On Group Wall

Group Wall

• Sherri

3 years ago

Hi there!!

I'm a trail and ultra runner and had the idea to use green juice as my race fuel. I'm wondering if there are any ultra runners in the group and if they have using green juice as fuel. Do you find you still need to add solid food?

Right now I use Vitargo (going to be trying Ucan) and had the thought of using green juice with the Ucan. I can easily go for a half marathon using Vitargo as I am a fat burner. The solid food that is mandatory for me is ripple chips and fruit.

Races I am training for are 3 x 50 km, Canadian Death Race (125 km), and a 50 Miler.

Also anyone using the MAF or heart rate zone training?

• Michael

3 years ago

Hi Sherri... nice to see another ultra runner here! I'm training for a 100 miler on April 30th. I've been using grape juice and coconut water along with Tailwind for long runs up to 50K with good results. Though I do get "cravings" for solid food. Boiled potatoes w/ salt, pretzels, gummy bears, peanut butter cookies, dates, oranges, apples... been experimenting with quite a bit lately. I was planning on doing juice only for nutrition for the 100 but I think that may bee too much. Will most likely include a few of my favorite juices: cucumber/pineapple, sweet pepper/orange, Mean Green, Grape/coconut and try to eat some solid foods. Trying to hit 250 - 300 calories per hour. I've posted a few runs and juices in the group... not sure if it's easy to search my posts by name? Anyways... glad another freak is here! :)

• Brian

3 years ago

Hi Sherri. I am training for a 6 hour race right now. It juice everyday but I don't plan on fueling with only juice. I have used beet, apple, and ginger juice during training. I eat a cliff bar or a hummus wrap about every 6 miles on long training runs 20 miles to 50k.

• Merbs

3 years ago

Hello all!

I just signed up on this reboot with joe site, but I've completed 31 days of juicing and have worked my way up to running 4 miles 3 days out of the week. I'm looking to do 5 days, and hope to add on mileage. I'm continuing the juicing and running. I look forward to reading up on tips/advice!

• Michael

3 years ago

Good work Merbs!

• shannonlazcano

3 years ago

I joined this group today. Love running and looking to sign up for future running events to keep my motivation high and work towards too!

• eclipsebrk

3 years ago

nobody is running more than 2 miles with just are they?

• Michael

3 years ago

5 Day Juice Challenge - Training Miles:

Monday - 4 miles (water only).

Tuesday - 10 miles (coconut water and grape juice).

Wednesday - 6 miles (water only).

Thursday - 13 miles (coconut water and grape juice)

Friday - 25 miles (beet/apple/ginger, Mean Green, carrot/apple/ginger) and Tailwind for sodium.

Total miles on the 5-Day juice fast was 58.

Tuesday I felt a little sluggish on my run but I had personal boxing trainer in the morning and he really worked me hard. Felt great on all other runs.

Experiment on short runs and see what juices work with your stomach. Juice On!

• Ellen P.

3 years ago

Hello All,

Some information on me. I was at 250+ lbs. I was fluctuating at that level and was beginning to push upwards in weight gain again. I had COPD and incessant upper back pain and strain from the weight. I began drinking barley juice every morning and increasing my daily fiber intake along with trying new recipes for the family that were vegan and raw to minimally cooked. I also began doing walk at home videos. Then somehow I came across an online reference to FSND, so I found it and watched it. I immediately did a 3 day reboot with my husband. I increased my physical activity by including mountain hiking and some weight lifting. Since then I've done a 7 day reboot (which was intended to be a 15 day). I've also begun this 30 reboot to help me through a stalled spot in my weight loss. I'm down 50 lbs and still have 60 lbs. to go. The COPD is gone as is that back pain. I lie in bed at night and am so grateful to be able to draw a deep breathe and can exhale fully. There is no feeling like it after suffering for over 12 years of reduced breathing capacity.

I have really been encouraged by these group posts. I keep coming back here to find hope. I have hardly kept a bit of the new reboot I've started six days ago until today. On the positive side, I have kept at the Couch to 5K running plan that I learned about on one of these posts. It has given me the desire to get back onto my reboot and to not be afraid of being tested a bit.

I Did sneak a bit of breakfast burrito filling from the skillet as I fed my family this morning, but as I was tempted to drink the hot cocoa that other family members were consuming, I instead ate a mandarin orange to get that sweet craving in check. I've had a mean green for breakfast after the lemon-ginger infusion that I made first thing. I've also had half of the Triple C juice, with one more waiting in the fridge for when I get back from my workout.

I figure that I just need to stand up after every fall and eventually I will be strong enough to keep standing longer and longer. I'm tired of running myself down for what I previously viewed as my failings.

And I've pre-registered for a Spartan Trifecta this year. So it does help to commit to something that frightens me a bit.

• Sherri

3 years ago

My DH has COPD and had it since birth. He finds that anything aerobic just flattens him and he gets hypoxic right away. He's willing to try juice and had added it into the diet. Is there anything that you would say that kicked the COPD for you?

Awesome on Spartan Trifecta! You got it.

• Ellen P.

3 years ago

Sherri, I can only give my experience. I was not limited from birth as your DH.

I had a tough time for the first couple years after beginning to do cardio exercise. I didn't have a juicer and frankly hadn't thought about juicing, but I used a dehydrated barley powder (AIM BarleyLife with HerbalFiberblend) day and night with water and began those walk at home videos. If I especially exerted myself I'd feel my heart rate soar and it had a hard time coming down. I made my own infusion/tincture (forgive me for not knowing the correct term) of lobelia and apple cider vinegar. I began to take a teaspoon of this after exercising and it definitely helped relax more quickly and slowed the over-revving of the heart. Truth is, it was a long process. I'd do the video in the morning then went to the shower then slept. I Would be exhausted. But it improved in time. I also read an article at that time that gave some breathing tips. Exhaling completely is as big a challenge as inhaling, and I consiciously worked on that, using my tummy to push air out with my diaphragm. My lungs really rattled. Maybe one cannot get back all the breathing capacity that was lost, but you can stop the loss and, I believe from my experience, one can improve on the lung space that remains.

After a time the trouble I had breathing at night improved on the days that I exercised. The days I did not, my lungs reverted to that same sensation of filling with fluid that I couldn't cough out. After a couple years I was able to go a couple days in succession without a sustained cardio workout and my lungs still felt pretty good. I think I'm seven years into the exercise and green drink process and I feel so good. I'm hoping for even better results using fresh juice. But the big thing was to do cardio exercise consistently.

I still begin breathing heavily almost immediately when I begin an exercise. My kids think I sound like a horse that blowing after a hard run, but I concentrate on blowing the air out, even as much as drawing it in, as I move. I don't get light headed, nor do I get side aches. I may sound terrible, but I can plod along quite a time. I believe I will improve even more as I stay in this process. I certainly feel like a new person. I hope this helps a bit.

• CIARA

3 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Just joined this group today. I have been a big fan of juicing for some years, but only watched Joe Cross movies a few months ago, and they really spoke to me. I have been running for 10 years, but I am overweight seriously overweight, but I love running. I did a full marathon in 2013, and plenty of half's and loads of 10k's, but I always struggle with race days and always do a horrible time. I run with my friend once a week,as this is therapy for us and I run on my own maybe another 2 or 3 times. My daughter however has decided to get into it, and she is 13. I promised her we would do our first 10k together this May, and I am beginning my training with her this evening, we will ease into it gently though.

I don't want to be the fat mama running slowly beside her, I need to lead by example. She looks up on so many levels, and I need to show her that I can loose this weight and run with her and be proud. So today Tuesday 12th January I have started to the reboot, I tried yesterday and failed miserably come the evening time. I need this group to stay motivated and on track. Although I am dreading these first few days, which are the hardest to get through, I cannot wait to get through to the other side. I am already experiencing the headaches, roll on Friday.... when I am in the Zone hopefully. I have to face this, I am strong, I can do this, I can do this, I will succeed.

Day 1 one day at a time :)

Ciara

• leahcatherine

3 years ago

what a great attitude! you'll do amazing...i'm having a hard time fasting as well especially with snow on the ground where i'm at- i could really go for a warm cooked meal. but i have a marathon in may that i have to work for that i'm absolutely terrified of!

• MiguelGreenAloha

3 years ago

Aloha!

Just joined the website and just finished watching Film #2, I did a 6 day reboot ending this past saturday, had 24 hours to eat after ;) and started the second half of my reboot today Mondayt, I am going again for 6 days. over all I wanted to do 14 days non-stop but I went camping and decided to "split" my reboot. I want to loose weight but also change my lifestyle, about 7 months ago I was 197lbs, today I am 175lbs with food, 163 before consuming food before my 24 brake from reboot. Over all I want to continue juicing once or twice per day with a combination of cooked veggies and soup. I try to run 5 times a week and this reboot has helped me feel lighter and more able to breath!

• BDolphin

3 years ago

Hi Everyone, Although I was quite athletic in my younger years and swam, I was always afraid of running. I started running about 2 months ago, off and on. Because there's ice on the ground, I will find something else to do today. Last spring I juiced off an on for two months and without exercise, I lost 22 lbs. Today is my start of 30 day juice and a little bit of protein. This time, I look forward to juicing & running together. Looking forward to supporting eachother.

• chele519

3 years ago

BDolphin, if ice is the only thing keeping you from running, try Ice Spikes. They screw into the bottom of your shoes and are great for ice and snow. They are perfect on black ice. I have used them for a few years to run outside all winter in the Northeast.

• chele519

3 years ago

Hi, this is my first reboot but I've been a runner for years. The past few months my endurance has been low and I don't get a lot of variety in my diet although I eat fairly healthy except for recently with the holidays. I'm hoping to use this to get my diet more varied and to lose the holiday weight (15lbs) and improve my immune system and eventually get my endurance back. Winter is a good time for that as I'm in the Northeast. I've seen some comments about long distance runners doing only juice and I'm really curious about that. After the 5 day challenge, depending how I feel when on it, I plan to keep juicing and have one meal a day. My favorite juices include beets which are supposed to be good for athletes and on long runs I used dates for fuel. I'd love to hear from anyone who improved their running by juicing.

• leahcatherine

3 years ago

hi...this is something i've also been curious about since i'm in training for a marathon. i expect to have some dips in energy during my reboot, but i'm not sure what to expect long term. i'd like to keep up the juicing for as long as possible but it is tough missing out on hot meals when its cold winter...i'm originally from buffalo so i know all about that haha.

• Michael

3 years ago

Welcome Chele519. I'm also doing the 5-day group reboot. I'm 10 weeks into training for a 100 mile trail run on April 30th. I have 58 miles to do this week along with 4 days of boxing and 3 days of core workouts. I've been experimenting with long runs on juice & Tailwind only for a few months now and feel pretty confident I'll have all the energy I'll need to get my training in this week. I've done a 50K on juice and Tailwind and mainly experienced "cravings" for solid foods. I had plenty of energy to complete the distance. I'm more curious how my energy levels will be during boxing and core training. Run Happy and Juice On!

• chele519

3 years ago

Michael, I couldn't even run 1/4 mile on just juice. I did the 5 days but won't do just juice again. I had no energy at all and it completely messed up my sleep as well. I definitely didn't have all the benefits I've read about. I was pretty disappointed with it.

• leahcatherine

3 years ago

Hey guys- just joined after signing up for my first marathon! Thinking a reboot might be a good idea...feeling a little overwhelmed by the challenges ahead!

• Michael

3 years ago

Congrats leah... signing up for your first Marathon is huge! Experiment with your nutrition during training and listen to your body... you'll do great come race day. You got this!

*Individual results may vary. Reboots are not intended to treat, cure or prevent any medical or health condition. Reboots are not recommended for everyone, and before commencing a Reboot or any other nutritional or dietary regimen, you should consult with your qualified health care provider in order to assess any potential benefits or risks to you with consideration of your personal medical situation. You should also continue to work closely with your qualified health care provider if you intend to engage in a long-term Reboot. Our Guided Reboot Programs are not advised for women who are pregnant or nursing.