Reboot Runners

Post On Group Wall

Group Wall

• Brian

3 years ago

I have never run in temps that low. Here in the Carolinas winters are not so bad. I always warm up a mile or so in.

• Shane Whaley

3 years ago

Sweden is beautiful in the summer but her winters are harsh. One November we only had 17 hours of sunlight for the entire month!!

Sweden is where this whole journey began for me and I recently ran my 4th half marathon there to celebrate it :-)

• Sick'n'Tired

3 years ago

Congrats! I remember being there and at about 10PM it seemed like dusk. They told me there was very little sunshine in the winter. It's getting dark at around 5PM here now. It gets lighter as the end of December approaches, but your whole mode shifts. That's why we will be doing it in the AM.

• Shane Whaley

3 years ago

Oh I know about the cold Tammy! When I started juicing and running it as negative 30 to 35 in Stockholm Sweden where I then lived. Here I am braced for another arctic run!

• Sick'n'Tired

3 years ago

I spent 5 weeks in Sweden! Loved the Stockholm Water Festival, the Tivoli, the Castle at Drottingham... oh there was so much we did there. In the summer months it wasn't too hot or cold. Just perfect! Everything was so green.

That's the picture of Canada for sure! Did you use anything on your sneakers? I am terrified of falling on the ice.

• Sick'n'Tired

3 years ago

I just spoke to my friend and we will start running again this Thursday. This is great! We bought these... things... we will attach to our shoes so we won't slip on the ice. In Canada, it gets pretty cold and snowy in the winter. The following is the schedule Budd Coates suggests to follow. Some of the weeks we may repeat depending on how we feel, so it will probably take us about 5 months to get up to running a 5 K.

Before starting the running program you have to get your legs ready by walking. He says to walk for 20 minutes a day for 4 days, then increase to 30 minutes for the next 4 days and you should be ready to start Week 1.

This schedule is a guide, but you know if your body is ready to move on to the next week. But don't mentally tell yourself you aren't ready, be ready... know what I mean? The most we ever repeated a week was for 3 weeks. The body is amazing when you start exercising it.

Week 1- 5 cycles of running for 2 minutes and walking for 4 minutes

Week 2- 5 cycles of running for 3 minutes and walking for 3 minutes

Week 3 -- 4 cycles of running for 5 minutes and walking for 2.5 minutes

Week 4 -- 3 cycles of running for 7 minutes and walking for 3 minutes

Week 5 -- 3 cycles of running for 8 minutes and walking for 2 minutes

Week 6 -- 2 cycles of running for 9 minutes and walking for 2 minutes, then run 8

minutes and walk it off

Week 7 -- 3 cycles of running for 9 minutes and walking for 1 minute

Week 8-2 cycles of running for 13 minutes and walking for 2 minutes

Week 9 -- 2 cycles of running for 14 minutes and walking for 1 minute, if you are feeling tired, repeat this week

Week 10 -- run for 30 minutes

Then you can start training for a 5 K.

• Shane Whaley

3 years ago

Well Amby is close to Amy, you are not the first one to think that Tammy, I only knew because I saw a photo of him.

• Brian

3 years ago

Your very welcome Tammy. This group is for all of us that lace up running shoes. I don't think anyone that gets off the couch and runs comes in last, the people that don't try finish last.

• Shane Whaley

3 years ago

Believe it or not Amby has a big beard and is a man!

Tammy you can totally do it. I was the same as you but have now lost 80 pounds and run 4 half marathons. I strongly advise beginners to try a conservative run/walk program like Couch Potato to 5k. :-)

• Sick'n'Tired

3 years ago

Really?! I don't know why I thought he was a she. I guess I never looked it up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amby_Burfoot LOL Thanks for clearing that up.

Yes. I know it can be done, just have to get out there and start working at it.

Thanks Brian. I have my boys that will run with me. BTW my middle child came in 4th in that race after only 3 months of training. He has potential. He was 3rd until the last K, but then lost momentum.

• Krissy

3 years ago

Hi Shane or any1 with helpful advice :-) I need all the help I can get. Any suggestions on where to find a good beginners walk/run program? I'm also concerned with injury ( fragile ankles and knees).

• Bonni Kennedy

3 years ago

Krissy, Couch to 5k is a great program. Its how I started running and before I got pregnant I had worked up to running 7 miles, had run several 5k's and working towards a half marathon.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

• Sick'n'Tired

3 years ago

Thanks for creating this group Brian! I actually have a book by Amby Burfoot "Complete Book of Running". She won the Boston Marathon in 1968 and was the editor for "Runner's World". What she did was take articles from the magazine and publish them. On page 6, Budd Coates makes a suggested schedule that should help you run a 5 K in a few months' time. I did not think I could ever possibly run, because I am 42 years old and over weight, but I actually did a 5 K last year. Mind you I came in absolute last (a speed walker ever passed me) but I did do it. I just wish I had kept it up. I was going to start again. Hopefully this group will be my inspiration.

• Kaamimg

3 years ago

That sounds like me...I am 43 years old. I have a goal to lose 60 lbs. I started running this past summer and ran 2 5Ks...I, too, came in the back of the pack, but it felt great being out there. I stopped when I went back to school this past fall...and really settled into the library. I never remember to eat and when I do, it is just junk to get through the time. I have decided that I need to find a better balance as it doesn't feel good carrying all this weight. I deserve better! I hope you start running again!

Email Newsletter:

Our weekly newsletter is packed with special messages from Joe, exclusive recipes, giveaways, and more!

*Individual results may vary. Reboots are not intended to treat, cure or prevent any medical or health condition. Reboots are not recommended for everyone, and before commencing a Reboot or any other nutritional or dietary regimen, you should consult with your qualified health care provider in order to assess any potential benefits or risks to you with consideration of your personal medical situation. You should also continue to work closely with your qualified health care provider if you intend to engage in a long-term Reboot. Our Guided Reboot Programs are not advised for women who are pregnant or nursing.