• Brian

5 years ago

2013 Elf Stampede

• Carolyn#145

5 years ago
    [deleted]
  • Carolyn#145

5 years ago

I love the name of that run!! lol.......Did you have your elf ears on??

• Brian

5 years ago

Some people ran with ears on. Someone dressed as Santa. A mile in Santa lost his beard, two miles in Santa lost his breakfast. I didn't wear ears or Anything like that. This was the last race in a 12 run year long series I ran in this year. We have a point system. II wanted to run for speed, I was in forth place in the points and one point out of third place. Top 3 series finishers won a cash prize and a trophy. I had hoped I would make up that point and retake 3rd. I had 3rd place overall for months. In October I ran a 1:47 half marathon and the following Saturday I ran a 5k in the series. I was so fatigued and sore from the 5k I just couldn't get going for the 5k. I got behind by a single point. I finished the Elf Stampede in 20:56 but wasn't able to gain back that point so I finished in 4th for the year one point out of third spot.

• Carolyn#145

5 years ago

Waiting for the sun to come out so I can take my dog Jillian for her run...........Brrrrr -19 out right now.....this will be a cold one lol!!

• Carolyn#145

5 years ago

Whoo hoo!! Day 4 on a JF and I have gone for my first 6 km run this morning as well as did my Jillian Michaels Shred DVD.........having a sunrise juice and celebrating!! Felt good and not too tired!!

• Brian

5 years ago

was cold here too. Had The Elf Stampede 5k this morning.

• lorie.matthews.5

5 years ago

I am excited to be a part of this group. I love to run and just started juicing this fall. 20+ pound off and trying for another 15.

• Carolyn#145

5 years ago

Hey Everyone

Thought this may be a group I would like to join. My name is Carolyn and I am 38. I have been running for about 5 years now. I have done the Toronto half marathon twice, the Vegas half marathon, the Picton half marathon, the Ottawa 10km and this past May I ran the full marathon in Ottawa. I have always been very careful with my food intake and running so juicing while running will be interesting. Can't wait to read all the posts to see what are the best juices before and after running!! I probably will run in the Toronto marathon in May. Just not sure if I will pick the half or full. The full took soooo much training.......loved it and I was so proud of myself for doing it but we will see!! Have a great night everyone!

• Brian

5 years ago

Welcome to our running group. Sounds like you will fit right in with us. If you haven't checked out Shane's and Angela's site runningonjuice.com you should.

• Carolyn#145

5 years ago

Thanks Brian!! I will check that out for sure!! :)

• Sick'n'Tired

5 years ago

Carolyn I hope to join you in one of those marathons one day.

• Dreamer86

5 years ago

Tammy F: Joking I have found and recognized in myself and others is a valuable coping mechanism!! I don't mean flippancy or making light of something serious, but in the assimilatin of something, in the daily long-term enduring of something finding some humor really helps!! We learn much about ourselves and those we experience life with when we go through things together, when we support one another through things...sometimes you tell a joke you laugh, then you cry, then you wipe the tears and keep going! It's all good, because we are grateful we still have him, and grateful that we appreciate life even more for having almost lost him. I think many would agree if they have been through any sort of loss or accident. Thank you for yoru comment!!

• danaeliza

5 years ago

Hi Dreamer86! I agree its much harder to lose the weight once you get older but it can be done. Sounds like you're on the right track! Keep at it and thanks for motivating me. :)

• Dreamer86

5 years ago

That's for sure Danaeliza! I keep telling myself it's a journey and take it one step at a time. I have decided to be happy and joyful during the journey, rather than say: when get this or that or achieve this or that goal I'll be happy then.

• Dreamer86

5 years ago

I can't say how happy I am to find this running group on the Reboot. It is like a perfect fit for me. I am rebooting my life, and running had always been a part of it that hasn't been the regular friend that was always there. I had spinal meningitis two and a half years ago and I had reached a fitness level at that point that was about 1/2 way to where I wanted to be, with running and weights and things but that meningitis really knocked me out for a bit. I got shingles with it and have had shingles 5 times since then, and the post-meningitis headaches keep recurring ( FYI there is this thing called Post Menengitis Synddrome) Guess what, big surprise: Juice Fasting helps tremendously with this!!! Running of course douses the stress which leads to the shingles ( Shingles usually come from STRESS AND FATIGUE!) My dear amazing superman husband got blown up a year before the meningitis hit me--and I ended the year with Meningitis (2 1/2 years ago) He was blown 75 feet in an explosion at a Gas refractionation plant where he worked. He had multiple injuries, and surgeries and was off work for 58 weeks. He has made a wonderful recovery ( with some things that will always be there but he inspires me with his uncomplaining stoic endurance and strength. He has quiet confidence that's why he is Superman) Here is a quote that applies so well,"You never know the timber of a man's soul, until something cuts him deep and the grain comes out strong."

I think I absorbed his pain and suffering and tried to do what you cannot truly do for another: heal for them inside and out. We learned a lot. Anyway here I am rebooting my life and wanting to run with the wind!

• danaeliza

5 years ago

Wow that's a lot to deal with but you are strong and resilient. Love your positive attitude. You're in the right place and I hope that I and others can keep you motivated and on the right track.

• Sick'n'Tired

5 years ago

Dreamer86 The challenges that we have to face in life are like mountains to climb. You need the right guide, equipment and the drive to conquer. You can get back at 'er! On the first page, I posted a suggested schedule for when you are just starting to run again. If you don't feel strong enough, you can repeat a week. I had to repeat week one 3 times before moving to week 2.

I have not felt so good as I have been feeling these last few weeks since I have been juicing. I don't know what took me so long. I like how you can joke about an event that could have been so tragic. Superman has a Superwoman too!

• danaeliza

5 years ago

Hi Brian and everyone! Believe it or not, years ago I use to run 6 miles each day after work. Then stressful events happened and I stopped and gained over a 100+ lbs. Now I’m ready to leave that behind and get started. I’m gamed for any ideas and lots of motivation. Brian good luck on your upcoming 5k. Hopefully one day I can start doing those ½ marathons!

• Dreamer86

5 years ago

You can do it. I think it's a lot like running-- the thingsyou know already about one step at a time, one foot in front of the other, go steady steady forward, work through the side stitches, the heat, the wind, the pinch in your arch etc. I am doing that, one day one step at a time.

I used to run regularly, and then had my last child at age 40 and just never really got back after that, or lost the weight from that wonderful event! lol I have realized it's not about exercise and weight lifting as much as it is about what I put in my mouth that makes the difference. I heard that fitness is like 70% FOOD AND 30% everything else. I had alwaqys thought when I was younger that I could run and eat whatever I wanted, and I got away from it, but after my last child it just wouldn't work for me anymore, than I found out that my thyroid basically quit working from the end of that pregnancy ( had the bloodtests but didn't read them til later and compare) Happens a lot to women who have a child late like that. That and just the so-called normal slowing of metabolic processes with time and age...well! I have a mountain I need to climb here and I'm about 1/3 of the way up!! I like to look at it like that, I go up and if I trip, I don't fall all the way back down, just a little, then I keep going overall I will keep making forward prgress --good to know I'm not the only former "athlete" that fell behind sort of!! Go girl, climb your mountain! I find that these reboot posts and groups are fantastic to help me have lots of ammo to fight with!!

• Brian

5 years ago

what type shoes does everyone use? Looking to buy a new pair soon.

• 2FatTom

5 years ago

Asics seem to end up being my favorite.

• Brian

5 years ago

I use a neutral type shoe. I have been wearing Brooks Pure connect 2 and a pair of New Balance 110. I love both. Closing in on 350 miles on the Brooks and 300 on the NB. I had a pair of minimus. Loved them.

• Sick'n'Tired

5 years ago

I wear Asics too. I have orthopedic inserts I use with them. I found them great.

• Dreamer86

5 years ago

I love Nikes and New Balance motion control ones!

• danaeliza

5 years ago

I use to run in Nikes, New Balance, and Asics. But right now I'm loving my Merrells. They provide extra cushion and support for my weight.

*Individual results may vary. Reboots are not intended to treat, cure or prevent any medical or health condition. Reboots are not recommended for everyone, and before commencing a Reboot or any other nutritional or dietary regimen, you should consult with your qualified health care provider in order to assess any potential benefits or risks to you with consideration of your personal medical situation. You should also continue to work closely with your qualified health care provider if you intend to engage in a long-term Reboot. Our Guided Reboot Programs are not advised for women who are pregnant or nursing.