Free for All

What about protein?

Free for All

Posted by alxslaven on 4 years ago

So I'm on day 11 of a 21 day reboot (and down 14 pounds so far). Even though I've done 10-day reboots previously, this is my longest (and obviously Joe and many of you are going even longer). So my mother-in-law asks me today how I'm getting protein... and I didn't quite know. With my 10-day experiences I wasn't really worried about it. I figured I could live with a little muscle loss for all the benefits of the detox. I'm a little more concerned about it this time, so I've been going to the gym to do weight training to try to counteract it a few times a week. I know many veggies have small amounts of protein, but do we lose it when we juice them? For people going over a month this seems concerning. Any thoughts/ideas/information on this would be appreciated, and thanks!

This topic contains 19 replies, has 1 voices, and was last updated by I am Groot 4 years ago.

Replies To What about protein?

• B

4 years ago

First of all congratulations on you progress so far! The first 15 days you don't have to add extra protein. As of day 16 the nutritionists on this site advise to add about 30 grams of plant based protein power to one juice daily. They also advise to add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil or avocado oil. I'm on day 18 right now and I tried to add hemp based protein powder twice. I didn't like it at all as it had a groundy taste and even made the juice I like best hard to drink. I decided to stop with doing juices only. Now I have a "normal" dinner in stead of my dinner and desert juices resulting in that I don't have to take additional protein powder or oil.

• WJS

4 years ago

I use pea protein that has been recommended here in my juices and in my opinion it tastes nice and makes my juices taste better. I use a little in all my juices for a total of a one scoop serving that is recommended for the day. I add one tbs of olive oil to one juice a day or add a tbs of coconut oil in my morning hot water with lemon. Good luck.

• alxslaven

4 years ago

Thanks to both of you. My wife was thinking hemp powder as well, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm now doing like a tsp of coconut oil (not for protein but for a small amount of healthy fat) twice per day, and doing warm lemon water with ground chia seeds twice per day as well. The chia probably only ends up being about a tbs worth, so probably not enough protein moving forward. Might have to bite the bullet and try the hemp seeds. Thanks again!

• Ouiselle

4 years ago

Hi aixslaven :) and Way to go on your reboot and success!!!! Fantastic!! There are a few different types of protein powder that you can use: hemp, pea and brown rice? So you do have options. Keep up the great work and you'll be at your goal in no time!

• alxslaven

4 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement Ouiselle! I have been implementing some protein powder into two of my juices per day since Friday and feeling good about it. Overall it's been a great reboot this year and I'm really glad I decided to join the rebootwithjoe.com community. I plan on sticking around post-reboot to help keep me on track with juicing and healthier living in general. Three days to go! :)

• Lisa_Marie

4 years ago

Aside of the powders, do consider just adding a cup of fresh green peas to your juicer. Skip the middle man!

• WJS

4 years ago

I could be wrong but I think pea protein powder is different, I believe that the protien is extracted and there is no starch in the powder. It is meant to be natural and healthy but juicing peas would be a different matter.

• scotcampbell

4 years ago

Protein is not an issue you get enough from kale, besides Americans place too much emphasis on protein in general, the real problem is people get TOO MUCH protein and the excess acid can create health issues. Especially protein from cow's milk and animal protein. I have never heard of anyone going to the hospital for a protein deficiency while on a juice fast and I know individuals who have fasted for over 100 days. But millions go to the emergency room because of heart disease from ingesting too much protein over the course of their life's.

• scotcampbell

4 years ago

... but if you are still concerned, just double the kale.

*Individual results may vary. Reboots are not intended to treat, cure or prevent any medical or health condition. Reboots are not recommended for everyone, and before commencing a Reboot or any other nutritional or dietary regimen, you should consult with your qualified health care provider in order to assess any potential benefits or risks to you with consideration of your personal medical situation. You should also continue to work closely with your qualified health care provider if you intend to engage in a long-term Reboot. Our Guided Reboot Programs are not advised for women who are pregnant or nursing.