Ask the Nutritionist

Hair loss

Ask the Nutritionist

Posted by DislikeCelery on 3 years ago

HI

I did a month of reboot in august and lost 10 kg - which was wonderful, but about two months ago I started to lose my hair - I am female with long hair and know that it is common to lose some a day - but this have escalated to where my hair now is thinning out quickly? I have no other reason like stress or anything - and I read that detoxes with low protein and high A vitamin could do this even aften 6 months? Have you seen this before? and if you have what can I do? please help sincerely a desperate girl.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voices, and was last updated by Dos_Centavos 3 years ago.

Replies To Hair loss

• Stacy Kennedy

3 years ago

Hi Dislikecelery,

Congrats on your reboot and excellent weight loss! As far as hair goes here are a few suggestions and questions:

-what is your current diet? Are you off just juice or fruits/veg and including a wider variety of plant-based foods like nuts/seeds/beans/legumes/etc...? Are you including any animal foods like fish/chicken/meat/eggs/etc.?

-do you have a history of thyroid issues or at risk for these?

-are you in menopause or perimenopause?

-any other health issues? Glad you're not stressed!!

Generally speaking lack of protein and certain minerals and vitamins like biotin, zinc can contribute to hair thinning and loss. This could happen with a more extended juicing (past a month typically) in people with certain risk factors or history. The delayed symtpoms you are experiencing is not something we see commonly. We have created the Reboot with Joe protein powder to help offset any potential risk - besides plant protein it includes zinc, biotin and also Vitamin D. This may be a good addition to your diet - in smoothies or juices. You could consider supplemental zinc, selenium (200 mcg), biotin (2-3 mg), as well as getting adequate protein. Check with your doctor before adding supplements if you take any medications or have health conditions.

I'm happy to offer additional suggestions based on your current diet.

Best, Stacy @ Team Reboot

• Dos_Centavos

3 years ago

Though I will not disagree with Stacey on her recommendations, I will state that there is a Great Amount of emphasis on the dosing protocols of Zinc, Selenium and Biotin.

Where society typically dictates more is better, in the 3 supplements mentioned, this is simply not the case.

Biotin has an RDA topside of 30mcg, Stacey is a little high on the 2-3 mg, given that there is 1000 micro grams to a milligram, however finding dosage in the microgram range may be a little tough and the worst cases of an overabundance of biotin is that it may cause Acne. This is the minor of symptoms you may suffer, but should still take caution when implementing.

Selenium on the other hand, in over consumption has Hair Loss as a side effect. Supplementation on this one can be found in foods if you are not still adhering to a strict "Juice Only" diet, and you can find some information about Selenium Here.

Zinc too can easily be taken in quantities greater than the body can process easily and over-consumption of this one can easily lead to Zinc Toxicity. This one you will know almost immediately as the standard OTC versions of this supplement are 5-10x greater than you will need and it may lead to severe cramping/the feeling like you have just been punched in the stomach.

Vitamins A, D, E and K are your fat soluble vitamins, meaning that these should be implemented with some source of FAT. Those new to and attempting to adhere to a strict raw fruit and veg diet can be lacking in these. Nuts, Avacado, Coconut Oil and Olive Oil may allow for some variety and can also support your FS vitamins.

• Mary

3 years ago

Is MSM. A good supplement to add for hair loss issues? Even with a thyroid issue?

• Dos_Centavos

3 years ago
    [deleted]

*Individual results may vary. Reboots are not intended to treat, cure or prevent any medical or health condition. Reboots are not recommended for everyone, and before commencing a Reboot or any other nutritional or dietary regimen, you should consult with your qualified health care provider in order to assess any potential benefits or risks to you with consideration of your personal medical situation. You should also continue to work closely with your qualified health care provider if you intend to engage in a long-term Reboot. Our Guided Reboot Programs are not advised for women who are pregnant or nursing.