Reboot Newbies

Does this mean I've broken my juice fast???

Reboot Newbies

Posted by Astro on 8 months ago

Hi all, Wondering if someone can answer my question. I'm on day 5 of my 1st juice fast. I replaced my juicer with a better one today (Philips). It has a fiber boost switch. I tried & used that option on some fruit in my juice as I seemed to get a bit more juice out of it. I sieved the juice before I drank it & it seemed there was no more froth than usual. After I started worrying I might have done the wrong thing by using that switch. I don't want to break my fast & get my digestive system going again. This is a juicer though & not a blender so surely it will be ok?? ????

This topic contains 13 replies, has 1 voices, and was last updated by Zootal 1 month ago.

Replies To Does this mean I've broken my juice fast???

• elmaasheley147

5 months ago

dont know

• razamatazz

5 months ago

You should be ok imo.. try not to overthink it.. When i did my first juicefast on day three i broke down and ate a piece of chicken, but continued on..

• mizmo

1 month ago

sounds like you're fine to me.

• Loretta

1 month ago

I think you're fine. I have two juicers, one that leaves a bit of pulp, and another that doesn't. I use both of them and while there is a visible difference in appearance in the two juices, I don't think my digestive system notices.

• Zootal

1 month ago

The digestive system never totally shuts off, and a bit of extra fiber makes no difference. A snack now and then also makes no difference. A big meal, otoh, makes a huge difference and is a very bad idea. I often have a small salad of bowl of soup now and then, and it never seems to make any difference.

• Soose

1 month ago

I'm not worried about the pulp in juice, but since we have people's attention here just now, I have wondered:

Does a whole dose of non-digestible fiber like psyllium fiber (Metamucil) swap the digestive system on? Or since it IS non-digestible fiber, does it somehow just pass on thru? Anyone know?

• Zootal

1 month ago

I think the extra fiber is good for you and can help you be more regular. The problem I've had on a reboot is because we consume so little fiber, our digestive system someones holds it in the large intestine until there is enough to warrant a BM. We can feel constipated and have little BMs every couple of days. I personally prefer a higher fiber intake so my digestive system is always running, even if at a slower speed. That can help with the weight loss, make it easier to have the salad or soup from time to time, and makes it easier to transition out of the reboot.

Our digestive systems will turn up and down just enough to handle whatever we consume. Extra fiber causes it to rev up just enough to handle the fiber. A small bowl of soup or salad causes it to turn on just enough to handle the input, and then it settles down again.

It's the big changes that will cause a problem. If we have a large meal in the middle of a reboot, our digestive system needs to crank up to full-speed-ahead to handle it, and it will probably take a couple of days to fully process it and settle down again. That can wreak havoc on a reboot and cause brutal hunger for a day or two.

The rule of thumb (my rule of thumb at any rate) is that whatever we eat/drink:

1) Don't make big changes to how much we consume from day to day.
    2) Whatever/how much you eat/drink, try to do it consistently every day.

If you take extra fiber, do it every day consistently. Same for the soup or salad. Our tummys like consistency and will get upset if we break the routine.

• Soose

1 month ago

Thanks for the reply, Zootal.

My interest lies in the fact that -- as far as I learned -- the body can't detox or heal cells while the digestive system is operating. It's either / or. While fasting, the body is detoxing and healing. The intermittent fasting schedules that are spoken of so often nowadays for disease prevention will keep the body in that detox/healing stage for longer, and eating that way is supposed to help with a slew of problems.

I agree with your points above. But for the sake of maximizing healing -- when one is trying to do that -- maximizing fasting time would be a good thing. (Some people eat at all sorts of hours of the day, which interferes with the body going into detox, I guess.)

So eating fiber does cut the digestive system on. But does eating "non digestible" fiber cut the digestive system on and interfere with detox time? It's non digestible!

• Zootal

1 month ago

When we drink juice, we are getting quite a bit of non digestible fiber, and out digestive system runs at the level necessary to process the juice and the fiber. When we juice/reboot, our digestive system does not turn off, it just slows down enough to process the juice and fiber we ingest. If we had to turn off the digestive system to heal or "detox", then we would never heal or detox while juicing.

I'm not convinced that it is necessary to turn off the digestive system to heal. If you read the accounts from those that promote low calorie high fiber plant based diets, you find the same tales of healing and detox as those that fast. The only difference is that it takes longer.

If you look into the research Jay Kordich (aka the Juiceman) did, you will learn a lot about juicing and lifestyle. People follow his juicing and plant-based diet regimens and experience the same healing and "detox" that people on the reboot do, but without the fasting. <shrug>.

*Individual results may vary. Reboots are not intended to treat, cure or prevent any medical or health condition. Reboots are not recommended for everyone, and before commencing a Reboot or any other nutritional or dietary regimen, you should consult with your qualified health care provider in order to assess any potential benefits or risks to you with consideration of your personal medical situation. You should also continue to work closely with your qualified health care provider if you intend to engage in a long-term Reboot. Our Guided Reboot Programs are not advised for women who are pregnant or nursing.