Join the Sunshine Clubbe - Open to all starting anytime!!! https://www.facebook.com/Sunshine-Clubbe-504310689693667/

Post On Group Wall

Group Wall

• SSinLA

9 hours ago

Day 8! I realized some of you use the term "released" when talking about weight loss, and I kind of love it. It does feel like I'm releasing not just pounds but unhealthy habits and embracing better ones. I had gotten to the point of going to coffee shops and getting drinks and snacks daily and like Melly said, you know you're off track when that becomes daily instead of just occasionally. I always feel better when I have healthy habits but then life gets in the way and I buy food first because it's convenient in a certain circumstance, and then I remember that I like those flavors (fat, salt, sugar), and then I get in the habit of buying food more frequently instead of making my own. And then it becomes daily... I think moderation is something I definitely need to get better at.

Interesting side note: I went to the store to pick up more tomatoes today and passed a new juice bar. I went in to see if they had something exciting and different that I could buy for a change of pace. All of their green juices were relatively boring, and all things I can make at home! Kale, celery, apple. Kale, ginger, cucumber. Etc. Pretty simple things that don't taste as good as what I make at home! I left without buying anything and came home and had one of my own juices. :)

Rick, thanks for the suggestions earlier. Yes, I take multivitamins. I slept for 10.5 hours last night and then took a nap for 1 hour today. I guess I just don't have that "bursting with energy" feeling yet. Hopefully it will come. If not, then that's okay. I feel good when I'm awake and that's what matters, and I'm rebooting my habits nutritionally and mentally.

Shane

• Elias Fenn

10 hours ago

Day 10 so far is going well - no idea how much progress I've made as I'm not weighing myself until the 50 days are done. Feels like such a long time from now - have to remember to just keep it today. One of the things I'm really happy about not weighing myself is the inevitable days of deep disappointment I would feel if I had days when I didn't lose anything. Those are horrible days for me and just make me want to give up. By the end of the 50 days if I've lost between 15-20 pounds I'll be super happy. Anything over that and I'll be amazed. Just trying to do this truly one day at a time.

I took the V8 recipe Dan suggested and mixed in a scoop of my green pea protein powder - heated it up - and that is one tasty spicy split pea soup. So good on a cold wintery day. Peace and blessings...

• amie

8 hours ago
    You have such a great attitude, Elias! Day 10 is awesome and you are 1/5 of the way toward your goal. Fabulous! This evening I got too hungry and then struggled with the yummy things people around me were eating...I had a moment of feeling like it wasn't fair that they were eating that and I "couldn't" have it. Definitely had to remind myself why I am doing this, and that helped me through those moments. So glad to be writing that I didn't cave and that you and others here can celebrate that and truly understand. Here's to one day at a time!
  • Elias Fenn

6 hours ago

Even as we speak my 12 year old's half eaten turkey and cheese on sour dough sandwich sits a foot away from me. Wow, I will never understand how some people can leave things - anything - half eaten. I'm planning to have some carrot / apple juice in a little while and that will help these feelings - I could be feeling a bit undernourished at the moment so maybe that will help. Peace...

• amie

20 hours ago

Wow so many great story updates here since I looked last! I have just had time to read through and Inam so amazed and inspired and again grateful for this place. Yes, even the potty talk, Rick! :) Thanks to you all...

Today. Hello Day 7! Yes, I am surprised with how quickly this past week has gone...I can say that now, though that wasn't the case at times along the way!

It feels good to report that as of today I am down 20 lbs since committing to healthier eating on Jan 1st...the last 5 from this past week! I am also just under a pound away from saying goodbye to the 200's...yippee. Haven't been there in quite some time....

Feeling pretty good with the exception of continued congestion from last week's cold...it's frustrating (but maybe it's been a blessing, too) to not be able to smell or taste much at all. Ready to be over that...

Going skiing today with my family. I might end up just doing a few runs and then hanging out in the lodge. The thought of being cold is NOT an inviting one...never has been and especially not now without my internal "furnace" heating the place up!

I will try to check in later today...cheers everyone!

• Yeager

20 hours ago

Congrats on getting to the Day 7! How does it feel to have achieved that goal? Just remember you have done more than folks who gave up after the 1st day or before Day 3. Now you are reaping the rewards of that dedication.

Good on you, mate!

CU@Healthy!

Rick

• Elias Fenn

10 hours ago

Congratulation on your progress, Amie - down 20 pounds is amazing. Today has been good so far and I've stayed with my juice plan, but the weekend can be so "boring" without food - just goes to show that I eat for entertainment and excitement. Wow, that's not going to work at all.

• Yeager

21 hours ago

Day 26

312 lbs

26 lbs released

Potty talk - fair warning

Yesterday, something that had happened on the first Reboot happened. That's right the colon cleansed itself. Oh my gosh, it was the hurry to the toilet and hold on tight. It is that time for the sudden release of the bowels. The smell was horrific. Dude, what alien crawled up inside me and died? The paint didn't just peel off the walls, it incinerated! The cats evacuated the house and were calling the Department of Homeland Defense because of the gas attack. Send the chemical warfare response team! That's right folks, step right up and take a sniff if you dare AFTER you sign the waiver. If it kills you, your curiosity did you in like the cat. Here lies Jimmy, he was going help but the horror overcame him. We should have put him in full containment gear but it was too late.

I felt better afterwards. That sludge was BLACK!!!! Green I could understand, but BLACK?!? Yuck! Then it was off to the feed store for the chicken feed, grocery store for some ingredients, and then back home.

Homemade New England Clam Chowder for the family was made last night in the Instant Pot. Both my wife and my son loved it. My son was initially going he was not going to eat it. When Mom was enjoying it and giving it a thumbs up, he got a bowl and finished it. We have a hit. It was my first time making that recipe. That was dinner.

Today is Leftover Day. With me cooking all week, it is time to cut down on the leftovers aka I need more room back in the fridge.

It was great to drop 2 lbs overnight again. The first of March is on the horizon. That means my time to start training is coming up for the 5K. I found a good program called Couch to 5k ( http://www.c25k.com/ ). They have an app and a website. The old pdf is harder to find. Here it is:

http://www.myrunningtips.com/support-files/c25k__m...

I want to run the 5K this time. My goal? Win the 5K? SNORT! Not even close. I want to be better than my 59 minutes the last time. All I need to do is improve. This will set the foundation for the Ragnar training. If you are going to Reward yourself, do it without food.

Went to a Cub Scout Bridging ceremony last night. One of the Troop leaders looked at me and asked how much I had lost. He was surprised by the results. So much fun. After dinner, my wife and I took a walk. My body is demanding the exercise now. It feels better afterward and sleep is easier and deeper. How much better will it be when I am down below 250? The mind boggles. Still, today is today. Tomorrow will take care of itself. 4 more days to go until 30 days...the halfway point of Phase 1. The real journey is about to begin in 2 weeks. It is exciting!!!

CU@Healthy!

Rick

• Melly

21 hours ago

Nearly at the end of day 3. I ended up going out on my bike for an hour, just taking it easy and stopping for a coconut water on the way :) feeling just a bit tired after and napped this afternoon. Quite glad I did because there is a funeral going on in a neighbour's house and the drums and shaman pipes will go on through till midnight at least. Things like that remind me I am in a completely different culture and everyday frustrations are not so important.

I've been thinking about eating post-reboot too after reading the posts below, and although I have tried a vegan diet in the past, and I felt fantastic, long term it just didn't work for me - eating vegan outside my house is virtually impossible here and felt quite isolating. It's easier now to get more of the foods I wanted but even so I am planning to eat mostly vegan (plant based) at home, then small amounts of fish/chicken when I am out. Minimal processed foods/sugar which does the real damage and I ate way too much of when I was being vegetarian/vegan. Giving up my coffee and cakes in cafes will be the toughest but you know you're on a wrong track when 'occasional' treats become at least once a day.

That's the plan so far, anyway.

• SSinLA

10 hours ago

Sounds like a good plan! I'm a pescatarian and I added fish back in March 2016 after 14 years of being vegetarian. I agree that it can be isolating if you can't eat non-veg when you go out. I went to Cuba in January and if I was still a veg, the only thing I could have eaten there was beans and rice. It's definitely hardest to give up the coffee and cake from cafes. But you said it well: You know you're on the wrong track when occasional treats become daily. That's where I was too. But now we're rebooting, look at us go! :)

Shane

• Dan

1 day ago

Hi everyone!

As I mentioned in a post I made yesterday, I'm entering the home stretch of what has been my longest, awesomest Reboot ever: tomorrow will be Day 50 of 60 total!

I'm choosing not to go beyond 60 days because the nutritionists here caution against it, and I saw some super-Rebooters comment that weight loss can slow after the 60 day mark anyhow: but I have become very conscious of a few things:

1. One of the things that seems to separate those who maintain long term success from those who continue to struggle is what changes are made after the Reboot is finished,

2. Even after my 60 days, which is well beyond what I ever thought I would do, I will likely still have another 40-50 pounds to release to reach a healthy weight,

3. If I don't move forward with some kind of solid plan and commitment that truly works for me, I will be much, much more likely to be blown off course,

4. There's something about the "total commitment" aspect of the Reboot that's been working well for me, and I'd like to keep that going until I feel I have a solid handle on healthy eating with solids included.

All this being the case, I'm getting my "Day 61 and Beyond" plan together, and I wanted to share what I have so far with you to see if you had any ideas for anything else it would be best for me to consider. I'll be posting this to the nutritionist forum as well, and also on the group dedicated to folks who have completed their Reboots. I'll be happy to share my final plan with you all once I've collected feedback!

Here is what I have so far. Feel free to post any ideas you have!

My intention is to commit to these steps for Days 61-90, and reassess my next steps nearer to Day 90:

1. Healthily transition back to solids and a more normal way of eating, supplemented by continued juicing. Transition slowly from veggie only to introducing fish, to chicken, and then to beef, as my body allows. Consider juicing 2 meals a day and eating 1 meal a day for at least the first 10-14 days, or until my body feels it is right.

2. Take this time to experiement and discover how to make many different micronutrient-dense meals: salads, soups, veggie bowls and "veggie replacement meals" (recreating tastes I already love but making more vegetarian-based versions of them). The goal here is to definitively develop a set stable of healthy recipes that I'll be able to fall back on from now on, kind of like the comfort zone I've developed doing the Reboot, no matter what I choose going forward.

3. Confront and figure out my own boundaries for how (or if) to integrate the "pleasure" foods from my past into a new healthy lifestyle (what role will pizza play? Which of those old foods can I trust myself to have in moderation, and which have to go into the "I don't eat that anymore" category? How will I approach events where eating a lot is part of the point: like certain kinds of parties or holidays, or dinners out at restaurants? And what would moderation even look like for me?)

4. Finally, impose a concrete rule: when I feel stressed, absolutely no turning to food. I've been doing it on the juice fast, so I'll need to know how to keep this up while on food, too!

This is what I have so far. Let me know what you think!

• Rod at Oyster Bay

1 day ago

Hi Dan,

I reading with interest your plans because it is something that I have to start thinking about as well as I am only 10 days behind you and I think you are just about a carbon copy of me. From what i have read in your earlier posts I think our starting weight and what we have lost are pretty similar. I will be interested how you go intransition and then on to solid food. It will probably be of value to us both if we keep the lines of comunication open into the future.

And hey Dan congratulations for your achievements to date we both know that this can go smoothly for much of the time but there certainly are hard moments as well. This is why this site is so valueable toall of us.

Good Luck Everybody And Keep Juicing.

Rod.

• Yeager

22 hours ago

Dan,

Congrats on Day 50. As I said before, it is not that hard to 60 once you make it past Day 10. After that it is routine and the body does a lot of healing. Since you are past Day 40, have you noticed any cravings other than wanting to eat?

Welcome to the Long Rebooters club! In my case, I understood a much deeper spiritual aspect of the Reboot after Day 40. It is not something we talk about. No, I am not talking about turning Juicing into a religion. I found a calmness, quietness and sense of purpose after the 40 days. There was a mental strengthening that happened in my case because I had been tested. It is humbling to have to face yourself on this long journey. The first 10 days you have to battle yourself. Then, it is battling the cravings and the mind tricks. Eventually, all that noise disappears. Acceptance is the final piece of the puzzle that has been my experience. Have you noticed that as well for yourself?

It sounds like you have a good plan for the post-Reboot. Try to keep the weight gain to 10 lbs or less. Shunned does a 5 day Reboot at the beginning of every month. She says it helps.

CU@Healthy!

Rick

• Melly

21 hours ago

50 days (and 40 days) is an amazing achievement. Congrats, guys!

Getting to that feeling of acceptance would be amazing. SO many moments when I think I am there - and then things go off-track again. Life, I suppose. But we keep trying.

• Melly

21 hours ago

BTW, I liked what Joe had to say in Food Choices (2016 documentary, it's on youtube) about moderation!

• Leslie

8 hours ago

I think it sounds like a solid plan Each one of us is different and it takes experimentation to find out what works for you! I think you have this under control, and will make adjustments accordingly!

• Melly

1 day ago

Day 3 - and feeling ok! Hey Rod, every sympathy with spending ages making the juice, that was the toughest thing for me last time, feeling terrible and worrying about where to get the fruit and veg! (sounds like you're well past feeling terrible though so that's good). I'm appreciating like mad being in a place where there's cheap juice that can be delivered to my house, although last night I drank an apple juice and basically went into sugar shock. After I watched Fed Up I decided to try to mostly stay away from fruit-only juices unless I'm out and there's no alternative. I made a carrot juice/apple/spinach/kiwi smoothie for breakfast this morning and it was good.

Heading out on my bike soon - can't believe on day 3 I want to go out and about, I think that's a good sign but planning to take it pretty easy. :)

• Yeager

22 hours ago

Way to go Melly! Ra ra ree for Melly! You are over the hump. 7 more days to fully detox and then the healing really begins!

CU@Healthy!

Rick

• Rod at Oyster Bay

1 day ago

Hi Dan,

I have just made up your V8 recipe and it is great, one of my favourites so far.

Also, I have a confession to make, I cheated with some short soup for my birthday last night. It is only chicken broth, ginger, shallots and a few noodles, but it is not fruit and veg juice. This is the only time I have strayed and I felt bad about it but gee it was good.

My wife and daughter have decided to join me in the reboot from tomorrow. I've got 20 days till I reach my 60 and it would be great if they stayed for that long. I doubt if they will but you never know. I have been to the green grocer and made up two days worth of juice for us all. I prefer to make them daily but I have a pretty huge day tomorrow at work so I won't have time for this in the morning. Took me four hours but I am glad it is done. Question to anyone who may know, I live in Sydney Australia and I am wondering if there are any juice bars or fruit shops who will make up juices to the recipes we use in these reboots. When I look up juice bars on this website in Sydney Australia it sends me to places in Hawaii or Alaska. If nothing has been set up in Australia I wonder who I should contact at Re-Boot With Joe because I work with the largest Fruit & Veg company both in produce farms and wholesaling distribution in all of Australia. If nothing has been sorted yet we should talk.

I am still hovering at a loss of around 20kg (44pounds} but I have not had much change for about 4 or 5 days. Pretty frustrating but I hope that things will change this week. It is hard to stay motivated when there is no change on the the scales for a few days. Tomorrow is Day 20 so wish me luck.

Rod.

• Dan

1 day ago

Happy to hear you liked my recipe, Rod! It's one of my favorites now, and it really makes a nice change from the usual fruit/veggie fare. It helped me a lot with boredom once my Reboot got longer.

Hope things go well with your next steps, and your wife and daughter's joining you! Just a suggestion: be encouraging, but if they bow out early, welcome it. Not everyone's ready to bite off what we all are: it took me 5 Reboots to get to this one, where I'm at Day 49.

• Melly

1 day ago

Hey Dan, can you please post the V8 recipe again? Sounds good.

• Yeager

22 hours ago

I remember Dan when you thought it was an impossible dream. Now look at you! Making your own recipes, the full 60 day Reboot, happy, helpful and full of life! Way to bring it!

CU@Healthy!

Rick

• SSinLA

1 day ago

Today is Day 7! I weighed myself today and I'm down 4.5 lbs since I started the reboot. I was hoping to have lost one or two more pounds but then I realized it's better if I lose weight slowly. I'm only trying to lose 10-15 lbs max, so if I lose the weight slowly, then I can juice for longer. That's a good thing because the longer I juice, the more likely I am to get relief from inflammation and rheumatoid arthritis pain. So even though I'm bored with juicing and I want to CRUNCH something instead of sip, I can go for at least one more week.

Some other random thoughts:

In 2012 I did a 5 day juice fast. It was a different plan specifically aimed at RA patients, but it was the same basic concept of only consuming fresh veg juice, broth, herbal tea. By day 3 of that fast I had tons of energy, I wasn't hungry at all, and my skin felt amazing. This time around it took until day 5 for me to have normal energy, for the hunger to fade, and for my skin to start feeling better. I guess I'm 5 years older and that's why it was slower this time around. I don't think I needed more detoxing time, but who knows.

I'm only at medium levels of energy right now. I was hoping for that burst of energy that I had back in 2012 but it hasn't happened. I was working out this morning with weights and I felt more sluggish and my routine felt harder than it did on Day 2 and Day 4. I work out consistently 6 days per week (3 days of light weights, 3 days of cardio: walk, bike, swim) and I've been doing this for years. I need to do whatever I can to maintain my strength and range of motion. I added some more protein powder to my afternoon juice but does anyone have any suggestions to help me get to a more energetic level? I skipped my cardio on Day 3 because I was feeling a bit weak that day so I'm not being stupid and pushing myself beyond what I think I can really do.

I tend to run cold normally but now that I'm juicing I've found my feet are even more freezing than usual! I do occasionally drink veg broth for the warmth and right now I'm sitting here with a heating pad on my feet. :) This isn't a complaint, just a comment. Anyone know why we feel colder during a fast?

Shane

• Yeager

21 hours ago

Are you taking a multivitamin? I assume you are, but I don't know that. Yes we feel colder because we have shut down the furnace of our stomach. The body reacts and conserves energy. Even I get colder. When I take my walk, I am fine after about 1/2 mile. Maybe wearing wool socks will help with the cold feet?

CU@Healthy!

Rick

• Elias Fenn

1 day ago

Such great posts that last couple of days - I been reading them and just relating so much to our common struggle and, currently, our common solution. It's hard to do anything alone - this juicing thing would be impossible for me to do alone. So grateful for the encouragement and support that we share with each other here in our clubbe. Wife and the two oldest are out of town for the weekend which leaves me and #3...the dishes are beginning to pile up!!!

• amie

1 day ago

I agree...this would be very tough to do alone. Even though my husband and a few friends are supportive, they are not experiencing it firsthand. Hope your day is going well, Elias!

• Dan

1 day ago

Count me in on appreciating this community as well. This current Reboot I'm on is the first one I had thought to check out reaching out to others with, and it's also my most successful by far. Definitely not a coincidence!

• Elias Fenn

1 day ago

Thanks for the V8 recipe, Dan. Mine turned out super spicy which I liked a lot. I've heated up my cups of it and it makes for a good sipping juice.

• Dan

1 day ago

Thanks, Elias! I'm just happy that my love for that juice has spread! It's such a great but different taste, especially on a really long Reboot. I'm glad you liked it!

• Melly

1 day ago

You guys are all awesome. Thanks! :)

Email Newsletter:

Our weekly newsletter is packed with special messages from Joe, exclusive recipes, giveaways, and more!

*Individual results may vary. Reboots are not intended to treat, cure or prevent any medical or health condition. Reboots are not recommended for everyone, and before commencing a Reboot or any other nutritional or dietary regimen, you should consult with your qualified health care provider in order to assess any potential benefits or risks to you with consideration of your personal medical situation. You should also continue to work closely with your qualified health care provider if you intend to engage in a long-term Reboot. Our Guided Reboot Programs are not advised for women who are pregnant or nursing.